BC Boards

Getting a second dog

Hello to all, I'm brand new here although I've been reading the forums for a couple of weeks. I hope it's not too cheeky for a newbie to ask (I have no idea of the etiquette!) for people's opinions on getting a second dog? I'm sure that all of you with multiple dogs don't regret the decision, but I need some clear-thinking, head over heart opinions.

We have a one year old neutered male who's recently reached a stage where it feels that the hard work is paying off - he's still got a lot of, erm, youthful exuberance, but is really looking like a great dog now. We're still working on training him out of the very excitable barking that starts up every time he sees someone he knows, or who looks like someone he knows, or who looks like someone he'd like to know.....part of the problem I think is that most people are kind of flattered by such an excited greeting! Any tips on putting an end to that would be gratefully recieved too. Aside from that, he's the kind of dog that even very dog-wary members of my family (and there's a few) are happy to have around their toddlers, he has impeccable food manners, calmly tolerates my two house rabbits using him as a springboard to jump on the sofa - you get the picture, he's turning into everything we wanted him to be.

So now we're considering whether we want another dog, BC of course. The thing is, this being my first dog (not my partner's, he's from rural Wales where everyone has a BC, no other breed considered :rolleyes: ) I'm wondering if we're in danger of upsetting the balance of our household? This last year has been a very steep learning curve for me, it's been fantastic to see the training working, and half of me thinks that this is evidence that of course we can handle a second, because Gruff's doing so well. On the other hand, I feel we've been really lucky to get such a good-natured, eager-to-please dog, and I've heard some horror stories about the second dog ruining everything, training going to pot, that sort of thing. OK, so they are told by the sort of people who told me not to get a BC because they are destructive (ha ha, my rabbits do more damage to my home!), but I'm in a position of ignorance here.

Basically, I suppose my question is not really should we, because we already know we will one day, but when? Is it better to wait until our one year old is calmer? Is it stupid of me to worry that all our hard work could be undone? Has anyone found issues with other pets when there's multiple dogs? I read somewhere that a "pack mentality" around prey animals is more likely - is this myth or does it have any basis in reality? That's probably enough questions, isn't it?

...he's from rural Wales where everyone has a BC, no other breed considered

Well I'm from the city (Cardiff) but I was brought up in a culture where there were only two types of dogs: sheepdogs and other breeds.

I don't think there is really a right time to get another dog; what matters is that you are willing (and able) to put in that little extra that is needed to get the new dog accepted into the "pack". The new dog needs to learn the house rules and your existing dog needs to understand that the new one is there to stay, and both need to understand that you are there and will firmly prevent little issues from blowing up into major problems.

Twice now we've got a second dog when our first dog was one year old (all BCs), and it worked great for us. I admit that we slipped a little into the "second dog syndrome"--not working hard enough on training the second dog individually--but that has to do with our own laziness and not anything to do with the age of the dogs.

I also wonder if it might be that the best time to add a puppy (as opposed to an older dog) might be when the first dog is already well-trained but still has plenty of the puppy playfulness left. (Which for a border collie might be years and years.) Our dogs have quickly bonded with each other and become great playmates. Now this is pure speculation on my part, since my only experience is as described above.

Sounds like you've got a great system going and I can see where you are hesitant in getting another dog. Our first dog was Annie, who sounds a lot like Gruff, just wonderful in every way - was nice to the cats, great on walks, and the only dog my grandpa let in the house (he grew up with outside dogs). So, we were wary of getting another, but Komet did come. I really don't regret it one bit.

Sure, some of the training "went to pot" at first. Annie and Komet would play in the backyard and when I would call them to come in, both would ignore me. But that changed in time, now they come running back. Until Komet learned how to walk on a lead nicely, Annie thought it was acceptable to pull, but again, that issue is solved now. He would also entice Annie to join him in pestering the cats, but after a few good whacks on the head by our old, fat cat everybody in the house gives him a wide berth - it's really funny, sometimes they get stuck in a room because Smokey (the cat) is sitting the doorway and they are afraid to go by him. At first, things will be hectic, but after a month or so, the system settles down and all is well again - except it's better.

I like to wait until my current dog(s) are well trained and reliable - ususally 2-3 years. I enjoy the training process and the opportunity to build a relationship with each dog as an individual - I also enjoy the fact that my current dog(s) are pretty dependable when I add a new rascal! I added dog #2 after 5 years with my first dog. I'm thinking about adding dog #3 now that I've had dog #2 for 3 years. My first two are now 10 1/2 and 4 1/2. Nicely mature but still plenty playful and active.

As far as the "pack mentality" goes, both of mine run and chase a bit, but would much rather do something with me than play with each other. Part of this could be due to the fact that I got them both as adults and I've worked with them one on one quite a bit. They do enjoying hanging out with each other and get along great, but when we go outside it's time to do chores or play ball with me, not wrestle with each other.

Well I'm from the city (Cardiff) but I was brought up in a culture where there were only two types of dogs: sheepdogs and other breeds.

Ouch! Sounds like my mum! She spent all her childhood summers on a farm and could barely disguise her horror when I told her I was getting a dog - the only good dogs are sheepdogs in her eyes. When she met him he was behaving disgracefully, bouncing around and barking, but she got this induldgent, soppy look on her face, usually reserved for grandchildren, and wouldn't hear my apologies, because "he's had a long journey, he's just letting off steam". He's got something, that dog.

Agilityrunningdogs - Smokey the cat sounds familiar. My teeny tiny cat is worshipped by Gruff, so much so that he sometimes makes the mistake of trying to entice her to play. It's pretty funny watching him play bow around her, then run for cover as she raises her paw - she doesn't even need to hit him anymore.

Maralynn - I think you've hit the nail on the head, I want to feel Gruff's behaviour is really solidly dependable before I do anything potentially disruptive. Having said that, in the last few weeks when we've been thinking about the possibility of another dog, we've obviously been very aware of his progress and we've noticed how many things he's doing without waiting to be told - I'd hate to let any of that slide backwards.

I agree with the 2 to 3 years old idea. It works out great. At that age a dog is finally maturing and reliable with commands but still young enough to enjoy a new pup to play with. At 1 year old your current dog is still a teenager and needs some brushing up and reinforcement.

Thanks for your responses - the voices of experience are appreciated. Now we've pondered and talked some more, waiting a while makes sense. I'm sure it could work out fine now, it sounds like it has for other people, but......it feels like it would be nice to really enjoy this time with Gruff before adding more pressure. This is a fantastic, new experience for me (if anyone had told me a few years back that I'd even sit in the same room as a dog, let alone put my hand iin his mouth when he's got something silly in there, I'd have thought they were nuts!) and it seems like it's best ((for me)to enjoy his development and wait until we're in a real position of strength, behaviour-wise before we add another young rascal!

The realisation that typing doesn't go so well when I've got flu is dawning on me - thanks again.