BC Boards

High protein diet

Jedismom

I was thinking of trying the Blue Wilderness dog food. It seems to be a very high quality food. Right now, my dogs are on about a 24% protein kibble and Blue Wilderness is 42% protein with very little grain. Is there a problem with a protein level this high? What have you seen to be the benefit? Would a kibble like this be the next best thing to raw?

Thanks.

To answer your last question first, kibble, no matter how high quality, is not in the same league with fresh whole foods. The two are like polar opposites.

On the question of protein, I pay little attention to protein levels. There is no UPWARD limit on protein for a healthy dog, except that room should be available in the diet for a healthy balance of fats andmicronutrients.

I've heard good things about Blue Buff. If you want the benefits of raw, the only sure way to get them is by feeding raw. But kibble and othercommercial diets can work fine. I compromise currently by supplementing raw meaty bones with kibble and other fresh and convenient foods.

I did a lot of research when my late Minnie had urinalyses that indicated possible kidney issues. What I learned is the protein content is less significant than the digestibility and quality of the protein. I chose to forego the prescription brand dog food that my vet recommended and gave her a home made diet formulated to address her needs.

I'd like to supplement with RMB mostly because their teeth have alot of tartar build up and Cadi and Jedi are young dogs. I'm mostly afraid of stomach upset and the general grossness. Where do you feed your dogs this, and what is the best way to clean up? Do you disinfect? Thanks Rebecca!

Nancy, how do you find out the digestibility of the protein? Thanks.

Georgia