BC Boards

Anyone following the Petland controversy?

I may not have all the names exactly right here. But there has been a lot out lately about Petland and the controversy over the way they sell puppies. And I think we have a Petland here in the Kansas City area - out in Johnson County, Ks if I'm not mistaken. That area is pretty affluent.

Petland claims to sell puppies from good local breeders - the inference being they are not from these awful puppy mills we have around here.

Turns out that good, local breeder is really a huge commercial breeder called J.B. Hunt or J. L. Hunt. So maybe the puppies are better than ones that come out of horrific conditions but really not much better. And there have been lots and lots of complaints about the health problems these puppies have had.

What reminded me of this was that I was down at Petco a couple of mornings ago and there was a huge Hunt truck pulled up to their loading area.

So now I am trying to find out more about Hunt and just exactly what they mean by a big commercial breeder.

Hunte Corporation is the largest puppy broker in the United States, based in Goodman MO. Do a Google search and you will find a lot of references to Hunte and puppy mills. And Hunte holds a current AKC Certificate of Inspection. AKC and Hunte, a marriage made in hell.

Sad to say, ABCA is one of the registries listed on the Hunte website, along with AKC and a slew of useless registries that do nothing more than make money of generating "puppy mill paperwork".

Good local breeders? What planet are they on, or maybe I should ask what are they smoking?

I just started looking into this stuff and already it is getting pretty sickening.

There are two Hunt companies involved. One is Hunt and the other is Hunte. Hunte seems to be the one mass producting puppies for sale at Petland. Well, they may be the ones that are brokering for a bunch of breeders that sell to Peland. So how many of these so-called breeders are really nothing but run of the mill puppy mills?

Names of breeders that supply to Hunte that I have seen so far are Honey Dew/ I Love Muy Puppy/Dobotri or Dog o tri/ Lambriar and Arlette Raveling of Grove City, Mn.

Most of these outfits seem to be based in Missouri.

Hunte Corporation is the largest puppy broker in the United States, based in Goodman MO. Do a Google search and you will find a lot of references to Hunte and puppy mills. And Hunte holds a current AKC Certificate of Inspection. AKC and Hunte, a marriage made in hell.

Sad to say, ABCA is one of the registries listed on the Hunte website, along with AKC and a slew of useless registries that do nothing more than make money of generating "puppy mill paperwork".

Good local breeders? What planet are they on, or maybe I should ask what are they smoking?

How is Pfizer involved? I read one place where Pfizer was offering information to breeders on how to produce more puppies for sale to Petland.

I just heard about one woman who spent $8,000 buying two bulldog puppies - not positive but I think they came from Petland.

A good friend of mine owns a pet boutique and you would be amazed (no you probably wouldn't) at all the people that come in there bragging about how much they just spent for this designer dog or that designer dog.

There is just huge money involved in this stuff.

Most of these outfits seem to be based in Missouri

Missouri is one of the biggest puppymill states there is.

I would like to know how Pfizer is involved too if anyone knows.

I have a good friend who works at Pfizer and she'd just die if she knew her company was supporting puppymills.

Missouri is one of the biggest puppymill states there is.

I would like to know how Pfizer is involved too if anyone knows.

I have a good friend who works at Pfizer and she'd just die if she knew her company was supporting puppymills.

Let me see if I can find more on Pfizer. Don't they produce veterinary medicines? Those outfits are all about profit.

I had a customer (I'm a groomer/pet supplies shop) that brought in her Mother's dog for grooming. She herself told me about her own dog which had had puppies after she moved to my city. She said she couldn't sell the puppies for what she wanted here as nobody would pay her asking price of $2500.00 and up. She did however sell one for a loss at $1800.00. She said the sire was a CH. and the pups were worth a lot of money. A breed that has natural birthing problems etc. She herself doesn't show, just bred this litter. When I questioned her on where she got the dog, she said "Petland." As this is a breed notorious for having breeding problems I can conclude (with fair certainty) that her dog was bred by AI. So I can further assume that the owner of the Champion sire sold some frozen semen and probably never even met this woman. What a racket. Of course I informed her of her bad choice in buying a puppy from a pet store. She agreed she shouldn't have and has since been educated, but I think she was offended by what I said. So be it. I would rather try to educate and have someone offended that will maybe think about it later.

Let me see if I can find more on Pfizer. Don't they produce veterinary medicines? Those outfits are all about profit.

If you have a business, it is about profit - or you wouldn't have a business. However, there is a big difference between making a profit ethically while providing benefits to people (or animals), and making a profit no matter what the cost to others, human or otherwise.