BC Boards

Need Some More Walking Advice

I've been struggling with Cheyenne the last few days more than normal. While we're walking, she tries to chase every bird, lizard, and large flying insect that is in the area. She had been walking fairly well on the leash, but now she pulls like crazy from left to right as she spots something. She'll even start pulling toward bushes because she knows birds and lizards might be in there. After about a half mile, it's not as bad because she's a little tired, but it never stops. When she gets really bad, I hold the leash shorter so she's walking right besides me. That doesn't even totally solve the problem.

Is this a puppy problem that might get better as she gets older? She's a little over two years old right now. She gets plenty of critter chasing time in my backyard so it's not like it's special to see them on a walk.

Since Cheyenne already knew how to walk on lead, and is two years old (officially an adult, not a puppy) I would recommend the book Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt. She has a program called "Look At That" just for this situation. Unless you are able to spot all these tiny critters before she does and distract her, the LAT program is the best I have seen.

Good luck, Kathy Robbins

Just got that book, I'll take a look at that section. I'm reading The Other End of the Leash right now. Thanks!

This may be useless advice but what I would tend to do is keep a sharp eye on the dog and the surroundings. If I were to anticipate a distraction or see any body language hinting of one, I'd stop and either turn around and go back the way I came (the leash, of course, would bring the dog along) or stop and walk backwards, speaking to the dog to encourage her to "watch me" (which command you would already have worked on in a distraction-free environment).

I really hope someone with good advice will chime in. Best wishes!

LAT would be worth a try, especially since you can't see every critter before she does and I could only imagine what your walks would be like if you were having her "watch you" every 30 seconds (or however frequent you see a bird or lizard). Good Luck! I'm glad I don't have lizards. I have a hard enough time with squirrels and cats!

That's the problem, it's every 30 seconds and often less. I've tried stopping, turning the other way, commands, treats, etc. We have a LOT of lizards and birds here. At least it's easy to see other dogs or people and get her to focus on me at that time, but those darned lizards are beneath almost every big plant. And the rabbit yesterday, oh boy, that was fun. :rolleyes:

Have you considered reading the recent topic on the dog that harasses cats, and perhaps tried adapting some of the suggestions there? The longer your youngster goes on behaving in this way, the more ingrained the bad habit will be. I have to admit that I don't live in a place with that sort of distraction and probably don't realize how difficult it is for you.

I'm not an expert or anything, but this is what I've had success with, on the advice of Dr. Haug: basically Pan has to ask nicely to do anything during the walk other than walk right by my side. This starts as soon as I put on the leash. She has to sit pretty for that. Then when we get to the back door, I will not open it until she is sitting pretty and watching me. In the middle of the act of opening the door, if she gets up, I shut it and wait for her to sit back down again. Only when she sits pretty and waits and "watches me" do I say "ok" and we proceed out into the yard. Same thing before we leave the back yard. She sits pretty at the gate and has to wait for an "ok" or I will close the gate and not walk out. And again as soon as we get out, she has to sit again until I say "ok" at which point we'll start walking. If she pulls on the leash I first pull her back (without saying anything) and if she walks at my side we're cool and keep going. If she pulls a second time, I stand neutrally and ignore her at which point she now knows we're not going anywhere until she either comes back to my side or sits and watches me. During the walk, if she gets distracted by something, I try to look at it as a training opportunity. Anytime she wants something really badly (pulling on the leash) I tell her to sit and down and only after she makes eye contact with me do I say "ok" and release her and let her go check it out. After a few weeks of this she started offering sits and downs facing the direction she wanted to go with a look back at me a lot of the time she wanted to do something. I'm hoping this will happen eventually 100% of the time. Granted, usually it is a bush she wants to smell or a water fountain or something, so bugs/lizards would probably be harder, but maybe the same principle could apply? I don't know, I'm interested what other people have to say also. Pan has really improved with her walks, but she still isn't perfect!

P.S. In order to get Pan to do this--the sit and down on cue while distracted--Dr. Haug had me do 200 reps each of sit and down a day for a full week. If Cheyenne doesn't have a perfect sit and down, you might have to do something like that.

That's the problem, it's every 30 seconds and often less. I've tried stopping, turning the other way, commands, treats, etc. We have a LOT of lizards and birds here. At least it's easy to see other dogs or people and get her to focus on me at that time, but those darned lizards are beneath almost every big plant. And the rabbit yesterday, oh boy, that was fun. :rolleyes:

Another thing is, have you tried just pulling her along on the leash as if it wasn't happening and ignoring the behavior altogether (not letting her check it out at all when she is being so excitable)? Not saying anything but just pulling her away and continuing with the walk? Shorter leash might help with that also (I found the 2 foot length really helpful in the beginning with Pan--now we have a 6' we use--because she doesn't abuse it).

ETA: Whatever happened with the truck issue, by the way, I'm curious!

Most of the time, I just pull her away from the distraction and telling her no or uh-uh at the same time. She is a very good dog, but she does get very energy-charged as soon as she knows we're going on a walk. She sees me putting on my socks and shoes and starts barking loudly. While putting my shoes on, she trots back and forth in front of me.

She has a good sit when receivng treats, but when she's excited, it all goes out the window. I can sometimes get a sit, but as soon as I praise her, she pops right back up.

I've been running her in the back yard and that is helping with the energy level. I guess I may need to change the order. I've been giving her dinner around 5 pm, eating mine, then walking at 6 pm when it's finally cool. Maybe I should try a little backyard running first. The main problem is that I don't want to be walking after dark. We had two armed robberies in my neighborhood last week only a few doors from my house, which is highly unusual for here. In fact, it's never happened before. They may have been isolated incidents, but I don't want to be out at dusk or after dark by myself.

Another thing is, have you tried just pulling her along on the leash as if it wasn't happening and ignoring the behavior altogether (not letting her check it out at all when she is being so excitable)? Not saying anything but just pulling her away and continuing with the walk? Shorter leash might help with that also (I found the 2 foot length really helpful in the beginning with Pan--now we have a 6' we use--because she doesn't abuse it).

ETA: Whatever happened with the truck issue, by the way, I'm curious!

The truck stilll is an issue. I think it's too scary for her because she rides on the front passenger seat and it is very high up there. I've done a little better with treats going in, but I still have to lift her in and out. I have a riding harness and hook her up to the seat belt, so she rides safely. She has no problem once she's in the truck. I usually have to distract her in the morning as we walk out to the truck because she will lock her legs and refuse to move. Thursday, it was so bad, I grabbed her riding harness, lifted her front, and dragged her over to the truck. I had my hands full and couldn't get close enough to the truck to put all the stuff down easily. That's not something I want to do again, so I'll plan better the next time. She's not bad coming home and will go right over to the truck, but she sure doesn't want to go in the morning.

This is my first post:

My previous dog, Casey, was a BC/Spaniel mix who was VERY high energy and dominant. She listened VERY WELL when we were in the house or in our fenced in backyard. On leash was another story. She would walk a "perfect heal" until something caught her eye which is when she would lunge, pull, wiggle, do anything to get at whatever she saw, to the point of choking. She was on a regular flat collar. Our trainer, who we started with when we adopted her and did wonders, recommended a pinch collar. Within 2 walks, she no longer pulled, lunged, etc. You could see the anxiety in her body, but she sat and waited for the object of her affection to pass. I know this is probably not the "preferred" way of training, but when you have a dog who could care less about treats or positive reinforcement when fixated on something, it may be a good alternative.

Good luck,

Rob

Welcome, Rob!

Pinch collars have been discussed in other topics, and I have seen them do wonders for certain dogs and handlers. Used as a training device, once the dog has learned proper behavior on the lead, they can often be dispensed with. I'm grateful that you mentioned them.

There are people who don't approve of them but I have some experience with them with different dogs and handlers, and if they are fitted properly and used properly, I think they can provide a definite benefit.

Thanks Sue!

Unfortunately, our trainer and I felt we had no other choice. Casey's fixations and aggressions on our walks were becoming dangerous and NOTHING else was working. She was a very self-sufficient, dominant dog (great with the family though). The pinch collar worked wonders. As I said, it took only a couple walks for her to realize that her wrong behavior had consequences. The collar broke her fixation on the object and then a ton of praise helped her behave. It did take several weeks for us to be able to not need the collar. Even with all her issues, she was an amazing dog!!

Rob