BC Boards

Lacaune sheep?

dracina

I will preface this by saying that I know nothing about sheep!

Does anybody here have dairy sheep, specifically Lacaune? We're thinking about sheep in the future. My husband is learning to make cheese, and we want dairy sheep.

We will probably be in southern Illinois, and are looking for a small flock that will work in this climate.

My questions:

How difficult are Lacaune to raise? Is there another breed of dairy sheep that might be better?

Where can we get dairy sheep (see, I told you that I know nothing!)?

And...do they flock like other sheep (Katahdin, St.Croix, etc)? (I am thinking about the enjoyment of my dogs.)

I am interested in hearing any advice from anybody who raises dairy sheep, Lacaune or otherwise!!

I have had some Lacaune crosses, and I thought them to be nice sheep. My understanding is that as dairy sheep, they are not the top producers -- that distinction goes to the East Friesian sheep. But their lambs tend to be a little better muscled than the EF, and their udders are supposed to be a little more manageable.

They do not have much fleece cover, and that is the reason the crosses have worked their way out of my flock. Every now and then you'd get a lamb with a Lacaune coat (which is to say, Hairless Chihuahua) which would struggle in my outdoor lambing system. You climate will be much milder than mine, so perhaps that is not as much of a consideration for you.

I have had some Lacaune crosses, and I thought them to be nice sheep. My understanding is that as dairy sheep, they are not the top producers -- that distinction goes to the East Friesian sheep.

Hi Bill, and thank you for your insight! That is interesting to me because I have heard that the Lacaune are excellent producers. I will definitely look at the EFs, though- I don't know too much about them, but I will learn.

I should hasten to add that I have never milked sheep, so my experience is limited to hearsay. I know that Lacaunes are excellent milkers, I think they are just less so than the EFs, and provide a somewhat better carcass than the EFs.

Hi Bill,

I guess that pretty much answers my question about Lacaunes. I probably should have visited here first. LOL.

Kind Regards,

Jeanne Joy

Hi Jeanne,

I also answered your question on the other forum. I haven't ever milked sheep commercially, but I have milked a few for our own use and I worked with a friend who was milking both EF and Lacaunes, as well as crosses with Dorsets, when I was considering getting into sheep dairying. So my information is actually a little more than hearsay, but it is not based on loads of personal experience.