BC Boards

How Much Chocolate Is Harmful?

The Tootsie Pop incident continued yesterday. While I was walking her last night, I noticed several new pieces of strawberry lollipop stuck in her chest fur and on her front paws. I remembered that I had heard some crunching noises earlier in the house but thought it was her chewing on her pig's ear. Then, last night, I found a completely cleaned Tootsie Pop stick under a living room table. She apparently had hidden one from me when I first found she had gotten into my stash and finished it off yesterday. Cheyenne definitely has a sweet tooth.

Cindy loves to open presents, even if they're not hers, and years ago she opened a pound box of Fannie Mae Trinidads that were sitting on the dining room table. It wasn't the chocolate that she saw, it was the fact that it was a wrapped present. She ate 3/4 of a pound before we caught her. We thought she was a goner but she was fine, no sign of any problems. We do our best to keep anything chocolate away from her. She's a strong girl though, a Parvo survivor.

I saw an article about this, that chocolate acts as a cumulative poison in dogs, and at some point it starts to have an affect. Eating one chocolate won't kill a dog but regular chocolate 'snacks' can start to do some damage.

Cindy loves to open presents, even if they're not hers, and years ago she opened a pound box of Fannie Mae Trinidads that were sitting on the dining room table.

I see both our dogs have excellent taste in chocolate! :rolleyes: