BC Boards

As Cody becomes 3 years old, he is way more nervous-- normal?

Hi, we have had pretty much the same routines for all of Cody's three years. Walk in the morning, walk in the afternoon, playtime and training every day, walk in the evening. Lately we notice him being jumpy and nervous. If a dog barks in a backyard as we walk in front of the house, he literally jumps out of surprise and then hustles to walk faster by the house, acting nervous. If a large SUV drives by, he's way more jumpy and excited about it going by than in the past.

Same routines, same food, same everything pretty much. Any ideas what can be casuing the nervousness and jumpiness?

Hi,

Jedi goes through phases where he suddenly starts acting scared of something. The way I handle it is that I don't react, or I may say something like, "it's just a car you goof.." and keep going. It usually happens when we haven't taken a walk for a while or we are walking in a new place, but sometimes it's for no discernable reason. I also do some training at times on our walks to distract him and keep him from overthinking stuff which he has a tendency to do.

Same routines, same food, same everything pretty much.

That alone is setting him up to be fearful of the slightest change. You really need to start broadening his world. If he's busy looking at where you are walking today, anticipating yet another set of new sights and smells, he's less likely to be yelling "The sky, the sky!" like the chicken in the childrens' story.

There is nothing wrong with providing a dog with consistancy, that is necessary for us all. _Only_ consistancy though, with no new experiences or mind stimulation, makes Jack are very nutty boy.

It usually happens when we haven't taken a walk for a while or we are walking in a new place, but sometimes it's for no discernable reason.

The force is strong with this one. Sensing things you cannot, he must be.

Hi, we have had pretty much the same routines for all of Cody's three years. Walk in the morning, walk in the afternoon, playtime and training every day, walk in the evening. Lately we notice him being jumpy and nervous. If a dog barks in a backyard as we walk in front of the house, he literally jumps out of surprise and then hustles to walk faster by the house, acting nervous. If a large SUV drives by, he's way more jumpy and excited about it going by than in the past.

Same routines, same food, same everything pretty much. Any ideas what can be casuing the nervousness and jumpiness?

My papillon started doing the same thing. He's spook like a horse (go sideways, FAST) at anything new. Trying to "treat" him into accepting it didn't do a damn thing, so I just ignored his reaction and would occasionally say something like "Geez, it's a LEAF...you flake.."

I took my GSD as a puppy into town to walk, so he wouldn't balk at traffic, people, noises, stoplights, kids, bikes, strollers, etc...I didn't really do much in the way of food treating or asking for sits, downs, etc, we just walked past it, and I had the attitude like there was nothing scary or worrisome in my environment, and he didn't have to worry because I was there to protect him. It gave him confidence, and strengthened our bond.

That said, I do use clickers and food and toys--a LOT--but for those instances, I just acted like there was nothing wrong and ignored their reaction. I also didn't coo "goooood boooyyyy" when they got braver, I wanted them to figure it out for themselves.

With the arch enemy (the vaccuum cleaner) I did get both of them to target (or touch) it, and after they figured out they could touch it, I guess it wasn't so scary after all :rolleyes: That wouldn't work with a moving SUV though (obviuosly, lol)

Hope this makes sense..