BC Boards

Meeting My First Foster on Saturday

I get to meet the first potential bc for me on Saturday, a two-year-old female. I'll also be looking at several other dogs, but I just talked to the foster owner and she sure sounds terrific. Can't wait! It's Erica on the Arizona Border Collie Rescue website.

I'm meeting my second dog (Siobhan) on Sunday! Of course, the Saturday meet is 85 miles southeast of Tucson, and the Sunday meet is 120 miles northwest of Tucson. :rolleyes:

The foster owner says Erica is a love bug and also very protective, which would be good for me, since I'm alone. He also said she's supposed to be quarter Aussie, but he doesn't think so. He said everything she does is pure bc behavior and she doesn't look Aussie. She also loves to chew leather, so hide the belts, shoes, and purses.

Siobhan is also supposed to be very sweet and smart, but may be too high energy for me. A co-founder of AZBCR said she's "a counter surfer." I guess I'll find out if that has changed. I'll also be checking out several dogs until one picks me.

My problem now is that I have to be out of town over Memorial Day. I don't want to get my new dog and then put her in a kennel a week later, as that would be totally wrong. So, I guess I'll have to wait another month to bring her home. The good part is that it gives me time to get a crate and other stuff that I'll need. Oh, and hide the leather. :rolleyes:

A co-founder of AZBCR said she's "a counter surfer." I guess I'll find out if that has changed. I'll also be checking out several dogs until one picks me.

Counter surfing is something that I wouldn't tolerate. Fortunately, there are ways to cure the habit.

Chewing, on the other hand, is something dogs need to do. Your job is make sure that they chew the "right" things and not the "wrong" ones.

What was interesting is that Erica apparently only chews cow hide leather. The foster owner has a pair of boots that's bison hide with cowhide laces. The dog ate the laces, but wouldn't touch the boots. Apparently, she has chewed belts, watchbands, and a few other things. That doesn't bother me. If she's the one, I'll get her some stuff she can chew and hide my good stuff.