BC Boards

A job for DaisyMae???

Last night at the Horticultural Society meeting I was approached by a member of town council.

She knew I had BC's and wanted to know if they would be suitable to do geese control work for our Art in the Park festival in July.

Alas no, my dogs are not suitable but I was thinking DasiyMae might be good at this. I know she likes to chase birds. She is a very pleasant dog, just off in her own little world.

The job is for two weeks before the event to discoourage geese and the weekend of the festival. They are willing to PAY!!

This might not work out as I am leaving for my teachers college this weekend to take a course and will be gone a week. I'd also have to convince DM's owner to let me take her.

What do I need to know to train her for goose work???

If Ontario birds are like Michigan birds, the geese are in molt at this time and cannot fly. I would check with your regional Department of Natural Resources (or Canadian equivalent) to find out what you CAN and CANNOT do at this time of year (not much, really). In the USA, these birds are federally protected and any harm to them is subject to prosecution and fines/jail. All goose work in Michigan must be done with appropriate state permits or one is subject to federal prosecution. Also, one must consider purchasing appropriate amounts of general liability insurance to cover yourself from personal liability if any harm comes to the property or, heaven forbid, a bystander or vehicle.

What training is required before undertaking this kind of work with your dog? Herding training, of course.

From the gossips at the post office I found out that the dumb as a post red merle Aussie who does G-Control at the golf course is getting the job.They are not in molt yet but will be very soon. They are still circling town every night. I'm sure that there would be lots of regs here as well. I appreciate your comments.