BC Boards

Want to see some Rally?

A couple of weeks ago, I put Speedy in an APDT Rally trial. We hadn't stepped foot on a Rally course in over a year and a half - not to practice, not to compete. We just did this for fun.

In spite of that, Speedy did some really nice Rally. The comments made by random observers as we go through the serpentine are most entertaining!!

Anyway, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8vSPM_5DQ0

This was Level 2. He was a little distracted at the beginning, but focused back in after the first couple of signs. The exercise at the end was a new one that we had never trained but that's a bonus anyway, so it didn't affect us. We did qualify in both courses!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWanw67Vmo8...feature=related

I am not going to start classes with him again - we are too busy with Freestyle - but I do plan to try for a Vets title with him after he turns 8 this August. It was kind of fun to do Rally again. He has improved a lot!

Loved the video. How did you teach the down stay with the reach to the sky motion? (done on station 4 and a later station) You should be really proud - loved the comment by someone saying they had seen the dog before and he was over the top - now a different dog. Congratulations.

Loved the video. How did you teach the down stay with the reach to the sky motion? (done on station 4 and a later station)

That was pretty easy. I originally taught him the down on a hand cue pointing to the floor (which evolved from my original lure to the floor for the down). Once he was lying down on the hand cue pointing to the floor, I started to put my right hand in the air at the same time that I pointed to the floor and said, "down". Then I faded the hand pointing to the floor.

He can respond to a verbal down and/or the hand signal up in the air for down.

You should be really proud - loved the comment by someone saying they had seen the dog before and he was over the top - now a different dog. Congratulations.

I am, very much so! :rolleyes: He has really come a long way.