BC Boards

Riven isnt toy or food motivated mostly. I work with her in the mornings and feed her only at night. Of course I use treats in the mornings, so she is hungry and will do what Im asking during training. My issue is that she trys to guess what Im gonna ask of her and starts producing all these tricks, although most of the time it isnt the trick Im asking for. When I dont repeat it and just stare, she rolls on her back and looks at me like she's just giving up... this is like 10 seconds in to training... I try small 3 minute bursts even and she just always ends up on her back looking at me like arent I cute?

The trainer said ignore her when she does that, but Riven doesnt care. She just sits and stares at me and then falls asleep. If I ignored her every time she did it I'd never get any obedience time with her.

I think part of the problem is when I try to work with her or tell her to do something when my friend is around she'll lay down and my friend will pet her and say something like "aw she doesnt want to". I told her, I dont care if she wants to I want her to do it cause I said so. It may sound mean but if I tell her down cause she's loose and there is a car coming, I want faith she'll lay down.

Ignore her and leave the training session. Or even SOFTLY say "no." Not as a big correction but just as a "That isn't what I want, try something else" kind of thing.

With these dogs they also learn on very small cues. One time I thought that Dazzle knew the command "stand" but it turns out I was taking a step back every time I said it so she was cuing off of the step back rather then the verbal! So you have to be careful there too....

If you just stop the training session she should stop doing it. Absolutely NO REWARD for doing that - no exceptions. And while you are working on this don't ever tell her to do it either, that will only confuse her.

Don't EVER rush the training. Right now you are training her to be trained. Nothing else. When she doesn't do her little thing then reward her!

Just take is slow. She will come around. Once she is listening you can get the obedience on her - not before. If you try and teach her obedience now she probably will take a longer time to learn it.