BC Boards

Update on BC coming to my house this weekend- she's still there!

I hope she can stay. As far as I'm concerned, she's a truly wonderful addition to the household - but her present owner is finding it harder to part with her than she anticipated. And she's not sure her one cattle dog will adjust to spending his days alone - the other cattle dog blithely leaps the fence as soon as his owners' back tires leave the driveway and spends the day next door with his aunt.

For those who missed the first thread, I had a three or four year old BC bitch come to visit this weekend. Her present owners found her as a stray, and after no one claimed her, kept her at their house for two years but they feel she'd enjoy more attention than they can give her. They're cattle dog people.

OH and I are introducing her slowly to the rest of the tribe. She does very well with two of the three cats, but is afraid of the third since that one puffs up and stalks her. She thinks the little dogs (Lhasa and a fiest) are barbarians - an opinion my husband often shares :D - so we're keeping them separated with baby gates for the time being and will introduce them gradually. (Naturally, the BC could clear the baby gate if she wanted - it's there to keep the little dogs from mobbing her.)

She is very dainty and slightly built, and incredibly polite and proper - she follows along at heel or curls up unobtrusively at one's feet, and always does as she's told.

Until she sees something to herd - then it's as if she sheds her secret identity and turns into Supergirl. :D I expected her to do this at the sight of cattle and other livestock but I didn't realize how upset she would get with the decoys at the duck blind when they ignored her instructions! :D

Still haven't figured out a name for her (her present owners call her Lady) but I'm thinking of calling her Violet. (In the South it's only a two syllable name - Vah-lit :rolleyes: - so will do for obedience work) The wild violets are in bloom here now (a fact I hadn't noticed till she started taking me for hikes twice a day ) and she reminds me of them, being sort of shy and unobtrusive but really impressive once you take the time to stop and notice her.

I'll keep y'all posted with her progress. Thanks everyone for all the good advice from last week!

Thanks, Sue and Tammy.

I've been keeping her "other mother" updated daily, by phone over the weekend and email today since we're both at work. She's thrilled Lady is adjusting so well - I believe she thought that might be a problem, Lady being such a sensitive sweet soul.

But you're right - a picture is worth a thousand words.

Sue - to my ear, "Vi-let" *is* what I'm saying. :rolleyes: I like the nice sharply defined consonants and it can be hollered across the farm pretty well (I practiced it already )

It's those "latitudinally challenged" folks who tell me the name comes out of my mouth sounding like "Vah-lit." :D

She sounds wonderful! You might want to not totally attach to her until you know for sure that her owner will really be able to relinquish her, especially since they have had Lady for a couple of years. That way, if she can be yours, things will still be great and if they want her back, it won't be quite as crushing. Even if you can't keep her, she's given you a window on what having a BC would be like. They're great dogs and plenty of them need loving homes like yours. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this little girl can be yours, though!

Shetlander - she is pretty awesome, and it is hard not to get attached to her. But I can certainly understand how hard it would be for someone to give her up after two whole years.

BTW, that's exactly what my husband said, about this being good BC experience no matter what.

Kat's Dogs - I am calling her "Lady Violet" as a transitional name, but I do feel as though a French poodle ought to answer. I must remember to take some pictures of her.

I think Violet may have had a rough start in life. She was very resistant to going into her crate at first - she went and crawled into my husband's lap at the sight of it (something she'd ordinarily consider too presumptuous to attempt). I suspect someone tried to keep her as an apartment dog and crated her for too long and too often. She's catching on though that now she only has to be crated for acceptable periods - that and a little cheese bribery is overcoming her initial resistance. :rolleyes: