BC Boards

What's the best way to deal with this?

Kate's doing really well playing fetch with her ball, I throw it, she brings it back to me, I tell her "drop it", she drops it and then wants to snap and bite my hand after she drops the ball. Not an aggresive bite, more like anxiety or just being excited, it almost seems like a reflex. I'm afraid if it tell her "no" or try to correct her she's going to think I'm telling her no for dropping the ball. Any tips?

Kate's doing really well playing fetch with her ball, I throw it, she brings it back to me, I tell her "drop it", she drops it and then wants to snap and bite my hand after she drops the ball. Not an aggresive bite, more like anxiety or just being excited, it almost seems like a reflex. I'm afraid if it tell her "no" or try to correct her she's going to think I'm telling her no for dropping the ball. Any tips?

Hi,

You could have her do a down or sit while you pick up the ball. If she's in one of those positions it will be hard for her to go after your hand. If she does go after your hand, you can correct her for not holding the position(sit/down). Don't forget to release her from the sit or down when you want to throw the ball for her again(no self releases=).

Janet