BC Boards

Health Insurance

KKelly

Hi Gang,

I keep going around in circles trying to find a good pet insurance for my 8 yr old female BC. I thought "PetPlan" or "Embrace" were winners, but they don't take dogs older than 7 (and cats older than 9).

VPI will take her, but they use a price schedule for reimbursement that is way out dated (i.e. low).

Any help out there?

Thanks

I just saw a piece on the news the other day that looked at the pet insurance industry and basically said you would do better to put some money aside every month (or every paycheck) in a special pet account and use that for vet expenses. Bill Fosher is one person here who has always advocated that very thing. I don't bother with pet insurance either, even with 10 dogs, because I didn't find that I'd get much back for what I put in to it. So I just try to space things out and keep some money or a credit card in reserve for unexpected things.

J.

I just saw a piece on the news the other day that looked at the pet insurance industry and basically said you would do better to put some money aside every month (or every paycheck) in a special pet account and use that for vet expenses. Bill Fosher is one person here who has always advocated that very thing. I don't bother with pet insurance either, even with 10 dogs, because I didn't find that I'd get much back for what I put in to it. So I just try to space things out and keep some money or a credit card in reserve for unexpected things.

I agree. I number-crunched some pet insurance plans a few years back, when I had five elderly animals at once, and I think one is better off setting up a veterninary expenses account.

Savings account!

When Girlfriend was diagnosed with cancer, DH and I were ready to reach for the plastic and be MasterCard's new best friend --but it turned out there was nothing to be done for her. No amount of insurance would have kept her with us a day longer.

We are putting the vet's kids through college now, with three elderly dogs, but it's always for something insurance wouldn't cover, like regular professional cleaning and extractions for Belle's puppy mill teeth (although we've gotten to a stable point on the extractions, and this time last year we thought she would lose ALL of them).

So no dog insurance in my house.

• 4 weeks later...