BC Boards

set out

So i would like to begin training my dog to hold out sheep(like on an outrun for somebody else). But i dont really know how to go about doing this and where to start. If there are some steps you could give me or methodology to the training of this that would be great. Also will there be common problems i could encounter? how cold i effectively deal with them?

One thing i was thinking about....What happens when my dog moves too early and i need to correct my dog, wont that put off the other dog that is coming to lift the sheep?

• 3 weeks later...
So i would like to begin training my dog to hold out sheep(like on an outrun for somebody else). But i dont really know how to go about doing this and where to start. If there are some steps you could give me or methodology to the training of this that would be great. Also will there be common problems i could encounter? how cold i effectively deal with them?

One thing i was thinking about....What happens when my dog moves too early and i need to correct my dog, wont that put off the other dog that is coming to lift the sheep?

Hey there -

not certain what happened to my reply, but here it is again...

Have someone send a dog that has picked up off people before and as the dog comes around, ease over to your dog and quietly tell it to lie there; once the dog has picked up, walk away with you dog and tell it that'll do, good dog. Do this several times, each time being a little further from your dog as the lift happens. You will have to have a dog that will stay off the sheep. Use the dog to hold the sheep, not you. If you have to switch sides, do, so that the dog is where it needs to be to hold the sheep.

Take a small group of sheep and practice holding them in one place, moving the dog as slowly and quietly as you can to hold them still.

Good luck!

Vergil

Hey there -

not certain what happened to my reply, but here it is again...

Have someone send a dog that has picked up off people before and as the dog comes around, ease over to your dog and quietly tell it to lie there; once the dog has picked up, walk away with you dog and tell it that'll do, good dog. Do this several times, each time being a little further from your dog as the lift happens. You will have to have a dog that will stay off the sheep. Use the dog to hold the sheep, not you. If you have to switch sides, do, so that the dog is where it needs to be to hold the sheep.

Take a small group of sheep and practice holding them in one place, moving the dog as slowly and quietly as you can to hold them still.

Good luck!

Vergil

thanks Vergil for the response