BC Boards

Rescued from shelter in Asheville, NC

Hello! I am new member to this forum group as of today. I live in Mt. Airy, NC (also known as the real Mayberry!) with 2 BC's, 2 Aussie's, 3 cats, 2 thoroughbreds and 1 mini! I have just gotten into herding with my youngest BC who will be one in March. I rescued him along with his sister and Mom last April from the animal shelter in Ashville, NC. They were in horrible shape. The pups were just 3 or 4 weeks old and the mom was emaciated. Unfortunately one of the pups did not make it. But, I found a great home for the mom and I have the other pup. Ricky has an extremely strong herding drive and after only 3 weeks of formal training, he knows all his commands, is flanking well, is pretty balanced and has a great lie down. Because he appears to be so talented, I would love to see if I can find out anything about him. I am putting the word out to see if anyone knew about any lost BC's in the Asheville, NC area around or before April of 2008. His mom was white with a split face and a black spot on her back.She was about 1 and 1/2 to 2 years old at the time I rescued her. There were supposedly 5 BC's running in a pack as strays. I don't know what happened to any of the others. No one was microchipped or collared and they were turned in as strays. I know it's a LOOOONG shot but you never know until you ask. Anyways, that's my story! I am hoping to compete with Ricky at some point in the future. He's a very talented dog and I can't wait to see how far he can go. Just seeing him do what he was meant to do is awesome. It's addicting just to be the spectator! Looking forward to meeting everyone. It's great to have this resource!

There's a LOT of breeders with high volume in that area and the dogs they use are working stock (a few in fact are working breeders, they just happen to have a lot of pups every year).

So chances of any random Border Collie in the area being halfway decent on stock, are very good.

Welcome to the forum! There's a good active group in this state and it's getting bigger all the time! I used to live down NC 8/89 from you in Walnut Cove. I now live on the other side of Danville though still in NC, just over the line.

Hello! I am new member to this forum group as of today. I live in Mt. Airy, NC (also known as the real Mayberry!) with 2 BC's, 2 Aussie's, 3 cats, 2 thoroughbreds and 1 mini!

Welcome Doozer! :D

Is this your mini? And if so, how many dogs can you get in it? :rolleyes:

post-8421-1233368108_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you're pretty busy down there. Send pics please!

Ailsa

Welcome! I can't help you at all but I can express my appreciation that you have helped a couple of dogs in great need.

Best wishes!

Hi Sue! I feel so lucky to have found these dogs and literally saved them from a very untimely death! I wish more people were better educated about BC's and maybe so many would end up like these guys may have.

There's a LOT of breeders with high volume in that area and the dogs they use are working stock (a few in fact are working breeders, they just happen to have a lot of pups every year).

So chances of any random Border Collie in the area being halfway decent on stock, are very good.

Welcome to the forum! There's a good active group in this state and it's getting bigger all the time! I used to live down NC 8/89 from you in Walnut Cove. I now live on the other side of Danville though still in NC, just over the line.

I just got back from an all day clinic with 2 of my dogs in Rutherfordton. Had a great day. My little rescue boy is really awesome. Very strong dog with immense natural talent. Thanks for the info about the BC's in the Asheville area. I feel lucky to have found him. I want to hopefully start trialing as we progress .

You were just down the road from me! I actually work in Greensboro so I go down 52 past the Rural Hall exit every day!

Welcome Doozer! :D

Is this your mini? And if so, how many dogs can you get in it? :rolleyes:

post-8421-1233368108_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you're pretty busy down there. Send pics please!

Ailsa

Thanks for the welcome! And my mini looks just like that except dapple grey! *LOL*

Thanks for the welcome! And my mini looks just like that except dapple grey! *LOL*

Here are some pics. In the first picture, Luke, in the middle passed away in Oct of last year. Jack, on the right, sadly passed earlier this month. Been a rough few months but we're making it! I have a border collie/pit bull mix, on the left in the first picture, then my Aussie Brady and Rick, the BC. I just got another Aussie, Emma, no pics yet of her.

post-9730-1233451254_thumb.jpg

post-9730-1233451283_thumb.jpg

post-9730-1233451299_thumb.jpg