BC Boards

Whelping Boxes

Debbie Meier

We need to remodel our front dog kennel this spring to bring it up to code, currently it is equipped with a removable wood welping box that the state inspector says has to go. The inspector loves the design of it, and it would be perfect for someone with just a couple of dogs but since we are a licensed kennel it does not meet state standards. Does anyone have any suggestions or examples of their whelping boxes that would meet state standards. Basically, it can not have any exposed wood. The building is an old insulated milkhouse that has two 6 foot long by 3 foot deep interior bays that have small entry doors to two seperate kennel runs. Right now I have one bay with a two piece removeable divider in it that has a high door and a lid making the whelping box. As pups get older I can switch the top and bottom of the divider so the door is low and the pups can go in and out, I guess it described as an interior dog house that slides out simular to what you see in horse barns with removable stall dividers.

Deb

Looks like you could just put siding or some kinda tin around what you already have if its just a exposed wood issue.

I don't know, that just doesn't seem like the answer for whelping boxes, especially when we get as cold as we do in the winter, even the floor has to be at minimum treated and non-porous. I'm liking the idea of the plastic lumber if it can hold up to chewing, I need to see if it comes in plywood style thicknesses. The other option would be to strip the current boxes out, line the walls with the plastic liner sheets they sell at the lumberyard for basements and then rebuild the boxes lining the inside of each box with the same sheets. I used those sheets when I replaced the ceiling in our living quarters horse trailer, light weight and easy to deal with.

Deb

You might check out www.farmtek.com and under building supplies you will see they deal with alot of plastic side walls, boards , and have several different things.

Also they make a Quick Hot unit where you just run a cold water into it and you can then instantly have hot water I think these units sell for about 250. on ebay.

Steve