BC Boards

Thank you

sweet_ceana

I just wanted to come and say thank you to all of you with working dogs who educate those of us who do not have working dogs through your discussions on these boards. While a lot of us lurk and may ask a question once every 6 months, we do learn a lot from you.

This weekend your education has saved me a lot of greif. I have been wanting to get Ceana into herding, but Chris and I haven't wanted to drive as far as the two trainers on Little Hats in AZ. I have been doing my reaserch, and non-chalantly approached someone about herding this weekend. I was just talking with them in general to see if they were what I was looking for, and they were not. I was able to ask them the appropriate questions because of the knowledge I have learned from you all. I was also able to see a BIG red flag when it came up in talking about training and the skill of the dogs they train.

The conversation may even convince DH that the drive is worth it! :rolleyes:

Not sure where you are going but there is a AHBA trial this weekend in Tonopah. You might like to attend. There will be all breeds there and some trainers too. Check out the www.azherding.com website for directions. You will love the stock dog training; the dogs will too. That is primarily why we struggle to get it right. Have fun and enjoy the journey. We have received so much help from everyone here both private and public. Thank you all for me too. Narita

I, too, should thank the very many people here who take the time and effort to help others, and to provide a community that revolves around the working Border Collie (and welcomes working dogs of other breeds).

Good for you for "looking for a USBCHA trainer within an hour of Phoenix". I hope you can find the right person to help you. I also hope someone here can recommend someone for you or give you some references that will help you out.

I know what you are saying about having a hard time finding someone. I travel almost three hours each way for a lesson and so it means that lessons are, at best, once a month and progress is slower. However, I think it is well worth it to travel (if you can) and take fewer lessons, if that means that you will get better instruction.

I think the cardinal rules are to avoid anything to do with AKC (and often AHBA) and titles; find a trainer that you would like to emulate and whose relationship with his/her dog(s) is what you want with yours; find a trainer who treats the stock with respect and humane handling; find a trainer who wants to help you learn and understand, who teaches principles and concepts and not just has you running courses over and over to prepare for competing for a title; and don't be afraid to say "no" and move on if the person you are working with turns out to be someone you are not comfortable with.

These are all rules I have learned from people that I both respect and admire, and from people who did not help myself or my dog to really progress by building strong foundations and understanding. A good trainer will help you lay a good foundation for both yourself and your dog. Poor training will not, and you are much better off if you don't have to overcome a poorer-quality start to your training and understanding of what stockdog work is all about.

Meanwhile, you might like to read a few good books to get an idea of how the dogs work and think, and how training progresses. My favorite "first book" is Derek Scrimgeour's "Talking Sheepdogs". It isn't at all an in-depth training book but it gives a very good, easily understood, overview of the training/handling process. From there, good books include Vergil Holland's "Stockdogs, Progressive Training"; Bruce Fogt's "Lessons from a Sheepdog"; Julie Simpson Hill's "The Natural Way". Good DVDs include Derek Scrimgeour's "The Shepherd's Pup" (my favorite again for giving an overview of training).

All of these author-trainers are also making progress, and you will find some things in these materials that you might not agree with, and that they may have changed in their training philosophy - but I think that will be pretty minor.

Meanwhile, kudos to you for being choosy and for reading the boards and listening and learning, and for asking the right questions so you can find the right trainer!

I would also like to thank everyone for all of their advice. Even if I don't ask many questions or share a lot of opinions I read the boards almost daily.

Daisy and I will also be starting "herding" lessons on February 21st! I am very excited and I am sure if she knew about it, she would be too! :rolleyes: I will also be making a 2 hour each way drive for my lessons and will be going once a month, assuming that Daisy does well.

I look forward to participating in and understanding this section of the board more!

Many thanks!

Not sure where you are going but there is a AHBA trial this weekend in Tonopah. You might like to attend. There will be all breeds there and some trainers too. Check out the www.azherding.com website for directions. You will love the stock dog training; the dogs will too. That is primarily why we struggle to get it right. Have fun and enjoy the journey. We have received so much help from everyone here both private and public. Thank you all for me too. Narita

Wrigley and I are attending the trial this weekend. It is her (our) first trial and I am so incredibly nervous and every excited at the same time.

We were at WAGS this weekend in Glendale for a fly ball tournament and near the racing lanes were the sheep. I ended up taking Wrigley over and had her in the with sheep for a few minutes. I was able to talk to a man who gave me all sorts of information on what to expect this upcoming weekend in Tonopah. He really made me feel at ease..... :rolleyes:

Cynthia & Wrigley