BC Boards

Genetic defects

KrisK

For whatever reason, all 3 of my drake (Muscovy) ducklings have died. I lost my last one last night after taking him into the vet on Saturday. The vet gave me some antibiotics for what he felt was a secondary staph infection to his breathing issue. This duckling also had a raspy breathing issue from day one but it wasn't as bad as the other two. He was gorgeous, and I'm at a loss as to why only the drake ducklings seem to have been affected.

I know next to nothing about genetics but it seems this could be a genetic defect. The drake and hens all came from the same farm. I got the drake and 2 hens a year and half ago and 3 hens a year ago. I had 6 ducklings hatch in August.

I'm not going to do anything at this time of year but next spring, should I be looking for a new drake or some new hens to get some 'new blood'?

On another note - Is it possible for a duck to die from stress? Smudge wasn't too happy when I had to catch him to give him the drugs.

Any ideas anyone?

It's odd. I don't know much about Muscovies but regular ducks can get a bacterial disorder that sounds much like you describe. But it usually hits ducks that are kept up, not free ranged.

Other than that one thing and salmonella, which hits right about now, but again is a management issue - ducks are really healthy. Even ones that aren't well bred.

I'd simply purchase one or two birds at any time covenient. Duck people are usually eager to get rid of drakes because hatches run 50/50 male female, but breeding flocks are best with one drake to two or three females. Again, not sure whether that's true of Muscovies, but it wouldn't hurt to just add one now and then you'll get your additional males if you need one-on-one pairs, once you get the next clutch hatched.

Sorry to hear about your ducklings. If you have any problems in the future that requires antibiotics, you don't have to handle the ducklings to administer the meds if that worries you, you can get powder that is added to the water. Of course, if the ducks are out and have access to other water you'd have to keep them contained with just the medicated water source, but it would save the extra handling. I've never raised ducks, only chicks and turkeys but I add an electrolyte mix to the water when they're tiny. I think you can get just the electrolytes, or one that's mixed with antibiotics. The hatchery catalogue I have says to make sure not to feed medicated chick feed to ducklings though (the chick starter is usually medicated with amprol) , so you'd probably be wise to look into what meds ducklings can have before just adding something to the water. It would probably say on the package, if I recall the stuff I got was pretty broad spectrum electrolytes that could be used for any livestock. You can get the powders at TSC, Co-op and probably whatever other feed store you have locally.

UPDATE: Last Saturday I 'rescued' Duke the duck....he has gone from being a DinnerDuck to being a DudeDuck :D He's a great looking Muscovy that I got from a farmer in the next community. He got Duke (my name for him) in S. Ontario so I know he's got 'new blood' to add to my flock. The girls have finally quit picking on him, and he spends most of his time wagging his tail. I think he knows he lucked out :rolleyes: