BC Boards

Supplemental vitamins for a young duck

KrisK

I have a really nice Muscovy duckling (10 weeks old) that isn't as robust as the others. He (I think) isn't feathering out as nicely and he's not as strong. On another forum, they talk about giving vitamin A and cod liver oil but no one seems to want to say how much :rolleyes: I know if this were a 'breeding' flock, I should probably cull this duck...but he's the friendliest and funniest one in the whole bunch...so I won't :D He certainly eats and drinks well, he's just not as strong when he walks around. I looked in my Storey guide, but there doesn't seem to be anything specific there either. Any ideas???

I know there's a Nuttri-drench for chickens, and there might be something similar for ducks. Nutri-drench is a liquid vitamin supplement available for sheep, goats, etc. I'd try something like that if you can find something formulated for ducks or multiple types of poultry. You could also try some molasses and perhaps just putting him somewhere where you could feed him extra and maybe better stuff (hard boiled egg, greens, stuff like that).

J.

I would agree that simply upgrading his feed and ensuring that he is allowed to eat his fill, might fix the issue. Check what you are feeding, too, that it has a correct level of niacin. Weak legs and poor feathering sounds very much like a niacin deficiency. Most free range ducks don't need extra niacin because it's available in bugs - but if he's gotten behind somehow, and isn't eating bugs because he's not as good at catching them, it can set up a decreasing cycle.

A bag of waterfowl-specific feed would be spendy (it's about $25 here) but a good one-time investment to help him catch up. You'll need a grower formula which you'd for sure need to special order.

Thanks Julie & Becca. That's very helpful. All the ducks are on the same feed (18% protein pellets for ducks) but I'll have to doublecheck the niacin. Winter's coming and he'll have a hard go of it if I can't get him stronger now.

:rolleyes: While I was away this weekend, Spot the duck died. DH found him in the duckhouse. Being the good DH that he is, he buried him in the sunflower garden with the others. I know it was only a duck....but I hate losing them!

Sorry to hear the little fella didnt make it. Darn it you tried. I had a fox several years ago deplete my duck herd from 14 to a dwindling 3 then a dog (not one of mine) came in and finished off the last 3. I had incubator hatched and imprinted most of them, and I was devestated. They werent just ducks they were my friends, and provided me with much enjoyment, as Im sure your little friend did too.

As a side note, that fox pelt sure was a pretty one, and looked good tacked up on the barn. I never did find the dog, spect he saw the fox pelt........