BC Boards

Night work

grenzehund

With young dogs, I do lots of "walkabouts," making big loopy S turns and the like so that the dog has to reposition often to come back to balance. I don't say much, only an occasional "watch your sheep" (or calves). I will also do this at night, with no moon. I suppose the dog can hear me walking, or if I think the dog may have lost me, I may occasionally jingle the keys in my pocket briefly to give the dog a hint, but then I am quiet again.

A

Anna's comment on the "wearing" thread (above) reminded me of a question I've long had (but felt too novice to ask!) - do you work your dogs in the dark? I would imagine there are occasions for practical work at night, so do you train at night to prepare your dog and/or yourself for that? And for which skills does work in the dark seem useful, even if you don't have "practical" reasons?

Susan

Like Anna, I will do the quiet walkabouts in the daylight but must admit I never considered doing it at night. I have worked dogs in the dark, but don't specifically train it. Maybe I should. When I was setting sheep for the last Seclusival trial I needed to put the sheep back in their night enclosure after I got back from dinner and it was quite dark by then. I sent Twist across the dam since the sheep were on the other side of the pond and counted on her to gather them all and bring them back to me where I stood with my flashlight (for my benefit as I didn't want to trip and fall on anything). I certainly wouldn't trust all of my dogs to go get them and bring them all back in the dark, so maybe it would be a good thing to consider training in the dark. (Though if they get it wrong and miss some, I don't know how you'd necessarily know....).

J.

I've been flashlight farming for years. There just isn't enough daylight for all of it. Mostly at lambing, sometimes if we had predator challange or a fence down.

If there's lots of moonlight, it's normal herding. If it's not...and in emergencies it's usually not...then a lot of times I put the light on the dog so the sheep can see him- indirectly of course, don't want to blind the dog. Once the sheep are aware of the dog they can usually sort it out, but the light on the dog does help. You need a dog that is patient and quiet - pushy will not cut it in those circumstances. I tend to get out of the way unless I can light myself up (preferably not with the electric fence, but wiht a flashlight) because the sheep will trample you simply because they don't know you're there.

if the gather is big, you probably won't need the light because the dog will be more like a coyote. However if the sheep are used to you and the dogs, lots of times the don't even get up when you come in. The least abrupt jerk from sleeping to herding is my goal.

Natural gathering skills, patient with the sheep (good attitude and good pace), iron clad lie down if needed, 100% call off and "stay to heel" when not. A "team player" dog. That's a nightwork dog. Probably the same dog you would want in the daytime to lamb with. For me it's one and the same.

I work in the dark quite often. It's one of the many joys of being a "flashlight farmer." I can go out and do stuff during the day since I'm home, but many times Patrick's schedule and the boys' school schedule dictates what can get done during the day.

In a lot of ways I do much better when I have no choice but to trust my dog! They already learn to "leave no sheep behind" and are alert for sheep sneaking off. But, sheep are much more skittish in the dark and tend to clump up tighter when there's a danger signal. They do much less calling to each other, but the little noise they make is pretty sure to be where they all are.

I think when I first started training in the dark, I did it just to see what would happen, and to see how well the dog would balance to me, even if I weren't very visible. But, since I first started doing it, there have been many times I get home from the day job after dark, and need to gather the sheep to put them up for the night. It's handy to be able to trust your dog in that kind of situation. I also just kind of like being out in the pasture in the dark--I guess I'm weird,

A

I've only had limited nightime sheep time. Bright moon and snow on the ground makes it much easier! Like the others have said, the sheep startle easier at night and a quiet, steady dog is what's needed. It's a interesting test of what the dog brings to the work because the handler can't see much until it's close at hand (and so can't interfere :rolleyes: ).

Got a cool trick for you flashlight herders to try. Hold the flashlight on top of your head, so the beam points straight out at the sheep as they come in. Something about the way sheep eyes reflect the light is other-worldly. It totally looks like a bunch of aliens coming at you. You have to get the light up where it doesn't catch your own eyes though.

Useless trivia of the day...but you have to admit you're wanting to try it now. :rolleyes:

Got a cool trick for you flashlight herders to try. Hold the flashlight on top of your head, so the beam points straight out at the sheep as they come in. Something about the way sheep eyes reflect the light is other-worldly. It totally looks like a bunch of aliens coming at you. You have to get the light up where it doesn't catch your own eyes though.

Useless trivia of the day...but you have to admit you're wanting to try it now. :rolleyes:

I have had to shag up sheep after dark when I have let them out to graze and they wander too far away. It's usually a strange out run--up the driveway, behind the barn and into a couple of horse pastures. I turn off the electric fence for the dog, send her and shine the flashlight in front of her so I can feel safe about her not running into anything bad, then when she gathers up the sheep I shine it so to see the sheeps eyes like you mentioned.

It is alien like and kind rather fun to watch. Boy the sheep stick together tight during this work too.

Carolyn

You mean like this?

YinYangJug.jpg

StriderNight.jpg

Car headlights do this too if they are far off enough as they come. First all you see are eyes in the dark. I have a belled ewe so I hear that too. Jingle jingle - and these green eyes in the dark.