BC Boards

Wish I had remembered

Other suggested methods we good but I wish I had remembered this from 8 years ago. I'm not in Colorado anymore so I can't go to the same trainer but I did look to see if she had books and or videos. Found her website and dropped her an email inquiring about getting her video on DVD and asked if she taught the knee method (I seeemd to have recalled she did). This is her response:

"I don’t use the knee, I actually stomp and move into the dog’s space, without touching them, using a very big, high stomping motion, commanding “off” , the dog dances backward on their rear legs to get out of my way, which they can only do for a short period of time before they fall back into a sit, which I then reward the sit. It works great. The important thing is to get into his space and reward when he sits. Hope this helps."

FWIW, I DO remember one thing that sounded pretty cool. For when you're out with your dog, say at a dog park and a dog comes running towards you and your dog in an aggressive manner- be prepared and have an umbrella with you. When the dog is at teh right distance (10'?), open the umbrella with it between you and the other dog.