BC Boards

New class!

So, I'm diving into the ocean of group lessons again :rolleyes:

My friend was the only one in her agility class (intermediate) so I dropped in to see how she did. I was really surprised! Some of her reactivity is still there, and she barked and lunged some, but not to the point she did before.

The trainer is awesome! She is extremely knowledgeable about border collies and reactivity, and gave me great suggestions. Everything was completely positive. She was really able to help on my handling skills (i really stink at front crosses...I need to speed myself up :D) but focus on Joy at the same time.

Joy ran away from me to go to the other dog a few times. Thats record breaking compared to before! She got her leash off and she was gone! The other times when Joy wandered away, it was only to investigate the new place. One thing I didn't realize the training place has ingrained in my brain- when she would run away I would lunge after her, making her run away more. The trainer told me I have to retrain myself and try taking a step back, instead of forward. Then I can respond to her. I tried that a few times, and when Joy realized I wasn't going to grab her, she started coming back more readily.

Another point: I do actually have ADD to the extreme (which is funny because it's taking me a 1/2 hour to type this because I keep getting distracted) so I have difficulty remembering what the course was. So I'll stand there in the middle of the ring scratching my head being all confused, until the trainer reminded me where to go next. When Joy started behaving in that one class, I actually could remember where I had to go. I think when she is behaving, I pay more attention to the course then Joy.

This is the first time I've said this in a while: IM EXCITED FOR THE NEXT CLASS!