BC Boards

Lack of Balance ?

Well...... I never did make it all the way back to the breeder !!!! LOL

I decided to give this boy one last chance. He must've heard me because OMG !!! He is now amazing me !!!

After getting some help from a lot of people on this group and some hands-on help from a very good friend of mine, we were able to fix this dog's issues ( which were created by me for the most part ) ... YES ... he is slow at maturing but he will be a really nice dog when it's all said and done.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH TO EVERYONE HERE WHO ANSWERED MY CRIES FOR HELP !!!! For those of you who wanted to see videos of him ... I took a few clips on Sunday and they are on my website. The dog's name is KIPP. Go figure ... he's no longer doing what I was complaining about !!!

Dave Strickland

www.outrunbc.com

******* No need to reply Vergil ***** Thanks

Hi Vergil,

I have a problem with my young 18 month old boy. My first BC ( now 3 1/2 yrs old ) was/is a natural. She had/has a wonderful sense of rate and great balance. Trouble is that when faced by wild sheep she doesn't back down and just keeps them in balance while keeping her distance ( about 10 feet ) .. but she won't move them - she'll let the sheep move her ... she won't grip either. So..... when I went looking for my second dog I decided to look for a dog out of cattle lines - which have more of a grip ( or more eye ).

This new boy "turned-on" at about 10 months and I started training him on stock 4 months ago. All he wanted to do is go straight to the stock and grip. He is slowly widening and is not gripping nearly as much ... he will still chase, split the stock, and "body slam" sheep and goats. He still gets so excited when he sees me or when he gets ready to work stock that not only does his tail move side to side ... but his whole body moves. When he jumps up while wagging his tail he looks like a big fish out of water.

I'm worried that I'm ruining him since I have to "Down" him so much. I have been doing a lot of "figure eight" in the field while not telling him anything and he'll kind of keep balance going counter clockwise ... but when going clockwise he just lays down and waits for me to tell him "Come By".

The question I'm trying to answer is whether this boy has little natural balance, or if he's just a "Nut Case" !!!!??? Should I keep working with him or find him a pet home and get another dog ?

Any thoughts ??

Thank you,

Dave Strickland

www.outrunbc.com

Well...... I never did make it all the way back to the breeder !!!! LOL

I decided to give this boy one last chance. He must've heard me because OMG !!! He is now amazing me !!!

After getting some help from a lot of people on this group and some hands-on help from a very good friend of mine, we were able to fix this dog's issues ( which were created by me for the most part ) ... YES ... he is slow at maturing but he will be a really nice dog when it's all said and done.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH TO EVERYONE HERE WHO ANSWERED MY CRIES FOR HELP !!!! For those of you who wanted to see videos of him ... I took a few clips on Sunday and they are on my website. The dog's name is KIPP. Go figure ... he's no longer doing what I was complaining about !!!

Dave Strickland

www.outrunbc.com

***************** Thanks to everyone's input ***** I have found this boy a good cattle working home ( back with the breeder - she is great !! ) ***** Now I'm on a search for a new dog....

******* No need to reply Vergil ***** Thanks

Hi Vergil,

I have a problem with my young 18 month old boy. My first BC ( now 3 1/2 yrs old ) was/is a natural. She had/has a wonderful sense of rate and great balance. Trouble is that when faced by wild sheep she doesn't back down and just keeps them in balance while keeping her distance ( about 10 feet ) .. but she won't move them - she'll let the sheep move her ... she won't grip either. So..... when I went looking for my second dog I decided to look for a dog out of cattle lines - which have more of a grip ( or more eye ).

This new boy "turned-on" at about 10 months and I started training him on stock 4 months ago. All he wanted to do is go straight to the stock and grip. He is slowly widening and is not gripping nearly as much ... he will still chase, split the stock, and "body slam" sheep and goats. He still gets so excited when he sees me or when he gets ready to work stock that not only does his tail move side to side ... but his whole body moves. When he jumps up while wagging his tail he looks like a big fish out of water.

I'm worried that I'm ruining him since I have to "Down" him so much. I have been doing a lot of "figure eight" in the field while not telling him anything and he'll kind of keep balance going counter clockwise ... but when going clockwise he just lays down and waits for me to tell him "Come By".

The question I'm trying to answer is whether this boy has little natural balance, or if he's just a "Nut Case" !!!!??? Should I keep working with him or find him a pet home and get another dog ?

Any thoughts ??

Thank you,

Dave Strickland

www.outrunbc.com