BC Boards

"Magic" Dogs... What's up with them?

I took Buddy to the wooded park this morning. This is Buddy, who has sent one of the few dogs he likes to the vet over a chicken squabble, who is reserved at best and reactive at worst, and who has a few friends but could never be considered "friendly." When I first got him, he couldn't be within 20 feet of another dog without growling. Mind you, he's come a long way, but he's no golden retriever. :rolleyes:

So, we're walking in the woods, and Buddy falls behind as he often does when he catches a good scent. I hear his footsteps on the hollow ground, running fast to catch up, and realize that there is another dog with him. She's a little, short-haired black girl, and they're running together as fast as they can.

I trace my steps back after a few minutes, thinking that the owner of the other dog might be worried. We find her, and I begin to chat. The little black dog does a play bow, and then she and Buddy take off spinning and running and playing chase. Not absolutely unheard of for my dog, the chase game. But then the little black dog puts her arms on Buddy's back and stands up. And grabs him by his collar (and a chunk of fur) and spins him around over and over. And jumps on him. Drags him around by his neck again. Bites him by the fur on his sides, again and again. And he stands there stupidly, grinning and "fighting back," letting himself be absolutely tumbled up one side and down the other.

In three years, I've never seen Buddy let his guard down this completely with another dog. The owner says the black girl is a lab/border collie mix, which I believe, based on looks and agility. She says other dog owners tell her what I did all the time: "My dog never plays with other dogs! I can't believe he's doing this!"

What is it about these magic dogs? What is their trick?

Mary

I think some dogs are just really good with reading/responding to canine body language. They are well balanced and social, but are sensitive, intuative (sp?) and don't push.

Missy used to play with a dog that belonged to a neighbor of my nanny family. For several years she was a very stand offish with a "leave me alone" attitude toward other dogs. She still is with many dogs. Not aggressive, but just didn't trust other dogs and would rather ignore them completely

I'm pretty sure this dog she'd play with was a BC mix as well. The neighbors lived on a road end next to a wooded area where I'd walk. Taz would come out, they'd sniff each other and run and chase each other. They'd jump on each other and had a great time. As I'd walk back past his house on the way home, he'd stay there. It went on for several months until I switched jobs. I also think it helped that this was a an area where she was very relaxed, comfortable and off leash.

I met one of those, Dezi. Happy is fear aggressive with strange dogs so I am always careful about the grooming clents I bring in, she is usually fine as she knows most of them, But Dezi she had never met in her life, and Happy just loved her staright off the bat, usually there is at least SOME resentment on Happys part, but there was none lol. the only other I have come across is Frankie, a little dog my friends found lost and they brought her to me, I would have kept her if we hadnt found the owners, she melded perfectly with everyone in the house, even my brother, who doesnt like dogs, wanted to keep her lol.

Im not sure what the secret is, both magic dogs I met were older small female mutts though lol

I now own one of these very useful dogs. Zhi is 100% safe around even unstable dogs - she's like a canine therapist. Not only are they able to interact with problem dogs, safely, but she also helps these dogs learn to communicate better - once she's gotten such a do's trust, she'll gently (but effectively) correct wrong moves on the part of that dog.

I've learned a lot from her.

That's my Petey, he is such a happy-go-lucky guy who loves to just be with other dogs, and knows how pushy or playful to be (I think that's the key). There are a few dogs who live in my neighbourhood who are reactive and very grumpy and angry with other dogs but Pete will find a way to bring the happy puppy out of them.