BC Boards

Jackpot Toys

I have been working on creating more excitement in my bc. She is a very mellow BC and tends to not a big toy drive. I bought a simple jackpot toy from clean run, and wanted to give it a try. Can anyone suggest how they use their jackpot toy in agility training? I had a few ideas, but just wondered how more experienced folks use jackpot toys.

Thanks!

Dinah

I love the little jackpot toys - which ones did you get? Mine like the little snake and the squirrels.

What I do is stuff them full of yummy treats and teach the dog to retrieve it back to me so I can open it up and give them the treat(s) inside. That way I can use it for distance work etc. It's a good way to teach a dog to retrieve as well.

I love the little jackpot toys - which ones did you get? Mine like the little snake and the squirrels.

What I do is stuff them full of yummy treats and teach the dog to retrieve it back to me so I can open it up and give them the treat(s) inside. That way I can use it for distance work etc. It's a good way to teach a dog to retrieve as well.

Thanks! I just got a simple one from Clean Run: http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...mp;ParentCat=22 So I could test it out and see if it helped me with Riley. I need help with distance work since she tends to be a velcro dog:)

The best article I've read on creating a motivating toy:

http://www.clickerdogs.com/createamotivatingtoy.htm

HOW TO CREATE A MOTIVATING TOY

Many times in agility training the need will arise to use a toy to motivate your dog to move on without you (example: teaching a "get out" or doing weave poles or any sequence of obstacles for a gamble). People will ofren lament that their dog is not "into" toys. Some dogs will not innately want to play with toys but you can create the desire within them with a little work on your part. If your dog is really motivated by food and has never shown any interest in toys, an option available to you is to take the motivating toy you have chosen to work with and simmer it in a pot of liver, or chicken broth to make it more attractive to your finicky hound. BE LEERY--if you choose to go this route, be very careful your dog is never given an opportunity to be alone with this wonderful smelling toy or THEY MAY EAT IT. Surgery to remove this from their gut will be neither pleasant nor cheap. The key to training old Rover to play with you and your toy is that you are SINCERELY interested in playing with your dog. If you are truly not having fun, your dog will quickly realize this and will be even more reluctant to join in. So be sure that you are both enjoying yourselves. Now let's begin!

• Choose a throwable toy--i.e. one that you can toss, but won't roll too much, like a tug rope, or a ball in a sock or a stuffed animal.
  • Attach this toy to a light line, string or lead that is about 3 meters long.
  • Put the toy in a drawer in the midst of your living area--example, in the kitchen or somewhere else that is easily accessible at all times.
  • Before each meal start to act a bit loony. While saying really fun things to your dog (like "oh no", "what is it", "do you want this", "where's your toy", etc.) walk, dance, skip...basically act goofy while you make your way over to the special drawer.
  • S-l-o-w-l-y open up the drawer while continuing to say nutty things to your dog.
  • Stop talking momentarily (a pause for effect) and then pull the toy out of the drawer, like you just unexpectedly came across a $50 bill and run with it into the next room.
  • Swing the toy above the ground while acting nutty to show the dog what a great time you are having with this fun toy.
  • Dance around for a few more seconds and then toss the toy out like a lure on the end of a fishing pole.
  • Drag it around but BE SURE THE DOG DOES NOT GET HIS MOUTH ON IT.
  • This whole process should only take 1-2 minutes the first time you do it.
  • End your fun game, which didn't include your poor dog, by running ack to the drawer, yhour toy in tow snatching it up and quickly putting it back in the drawer with a phrase like "oh no, it's gone".
  • You may then proceed about your regular routine as if nothing out of the ordinary just happened.
  • Re-enact this bizarre performance 2-3 times a day. After the second day, allow the dog to get his mouth on the toy if he is really keen--but only for a few seconds. Pull on the line to try and steal it from him. Once you get it away (be sure you are taking it from him in a very informal, fun way), play with it a little more by yourself before quickly putting the toy away.
  • Gradually progress, letting him play with you and the toy (tog of war style) a little more each time until you have a dog who loves to see the toy come out.
  • Do not allow him to play with this toy at any other time except during this routine and, when he is ready, at agility class.
  • Ideally, you should remove any other toys that are lying around the house during this time. Leave out only things your dog can lie down and chew on by himself, such as his chew bones.
  • Be sure during this training/play session that you never give your dog any sort of verbal for anything he might do.
  • Before you know it you will have a dog who is as nutty about this toy as you apparently have been!
  • This method works particularly well on new puppies.

The best article I've read on creating a motivating toy:

http://www.clickerdogs.com/createamotivatingtoy.htm

HOW TO CREATE A MOTIVATING TOY

Many times in agility training the need will arise to use a toy to motivate your dog to move on without you (example: teaching a "get out" or doing weave poles or any sequence of obstacles for a gamble). People will ofren lament that their dog is not "into" toys. Some dogs will not innately want to play with toys but you can create the desire within them with a little work on your part. If your dog is really motivated by food and has never shown any interest in toys, an option available to you is to take the motivating toy you have chosen to work with and simmer it in a pot of liver, or chicken broth to make it more attractive to your finicky hound. BE LEERY--if you choose to go this route, be very careful your dog is never given an opportunity to be alone with this wonderful smelling toy or THEY MAY EAT IT. Surgery to remove this from their gut will be neither pleasant nor cheap. The key to training old Rover to play with you and your toy is that you are SINCERELY interested in playing with your dog. If you are truly not having fun, your dog will quickly realize this and will be even more reluctant to join in. So be sure that you are both enjoying yourselves. Now let's begin!

• Choose a throwable toy--i.e. one that you can toss, but won't roll too much, like a tug rope, or a ball in a sock or a stuffed animal.
  • Attach this toy to a light line, string or lead that is about 3 meters long.
  • Put the toy in a drawer in the midst of your living area--example, in the kitchen or somewhere else that is easily accessible at all times.
  • Before each meal start to act a bit loony. While saying really fun things to your dog (like "oh no", "what is it", "do you want this", "where's your toy", etc.) walk, dance, skip...basically act goofy while you make your way over to the special drawer.
  • S-l-o-w-l-y open up the drawer while continuing to say nutty things to your dog.
  • Stop talking momentarily (a pause for effect) and then pull the toy out of the drawer, like you just unexpectedly came across a $50 bill and run with it into the next room.
  • Swing the toy above the ground while acting nutty to show the dog what a great time you are having with this fun toy.
  • Dance around for a few more seconds and then toss the toy out like a lure on the end of a fishing pole.
  • Drag it around but BE SURE THE DOG DOES NOT GET HIS MOUTH ON IT.
  • This whole process should only take 1-2 minutes the first time you do it.
  • End your fun game, which didn't include your poor dog, by running ack to the drawer, yhour toy in tow snatching it up and quickly putting it back in the drawer with a phrase like "oh no, it's gone".
  • You may then proceed about your regular routine as if nothing out of the ordinary just happened.
  • Re-enact this bizarre performance 2-3 times a day. After the second day, allow the dog to get his mouth on the toy if he is really keen--but only for a few seconds. Pull on the line to try and steal it from him. Once you get it away (be sure you are taking it from him in a very informal, fun way), play with it a little more by yourself before quickly putting the toy away.
  • Gradually progress, letting him play with you and the toy (tog of war style) a little more each time until you have a dog who loves to see the toy come out.
  • Do not allow him to play with this toy at any other time except during this routine and, when he is ready, at agility class.
  • Ideally, you should remove any other toys that are lying around the house during this time. Leave out only things your dog can lie down and chew on by himself, such as his chew bones.
  • Be sure during this training/play session that you never give your dog any sort of verbal for anything he might do.
  • Before you know it you will have a dog who is as nutty about this toy as you apparently have been!
  • This method works particularly well on new puppies.

Thanks, I have read that article, its great!!! My dog has a high drive for certain toys, but it doesn't last in certain enviroments. She is just a weird dog, not a typcial high drive bc, plus she is really a soft dog which makes things difficult. Hopefully the jackpot toy will help.

Thanks, I have read that article, its great!!! My dog has a high drive for certain toys, but it doesn't last in certain enviroments. She is just a weird dog, not a typcial high drive bc, plus she is really a soft dog which makes things difficult. Hopefully the jackpot toy will help.

Maddie is the same way. About the only toy she LOVES is her squeaky ball, and yet there are days when she won't even pay any attention to it!

I should get one of those jackpot toys for her. She never turns her pert little nose up at treats!

Maddie is the same way. About the only toy she LOVES is her squeaky ball, and yet there are days when she won't even pay any attention to it!

I should get one of those jackpot toys for her. She never turns her pert little nose up at treats!

LOL Riley loves those little hide-a-whatever animal toy. They are nice and little so they fit in her mouth just right. For some reason she can't catch a toy to save her life :rolleyes: So in class I have started taking the squeaky bird and after a good go I throw it around for her. Well, she only shows interest in it probably after 2 goes, and then could care less. She LOVES french fries, and loves to tug at home, so I am hoping this jackpot toy could maybe put thoses loves together? I am going out to practice this Saturday so I can try out her new toy then.