BC Boards

Vet in MD, VA area who specializes in aggression

Shep sounds like a very special dog (and I don't mean "special" in only the euphemistic sense). With Solo, the way I think of it is that his problems don't really have anything to do with his true personality. They're more like an illness that sometimes obscures his true personality. That said, Solo has progressed to the point where I rarely think about his issues on a day-to-day basis (although of course the sort of management stuff you do with a reactive dog doesn't cease, it isn't that onerous -- how hard is it to ask strangers to not pet him, or crate him if friends come over? not all that hard). I think Shep can get there too. You just have to be committed and consistent and I think you are or can be both of those things.

It's funny you call Shep "Pink Lip." Solo has the same cute pouty little lower lip, and because his lips are pink, they look strangely human. One of Solo's nicknames is "Creepy Human Lips."

goofy.jpg

Melanie

I don't know if you've already outlined what you've done with Solo somewhere. I've looked thru my emails and found snippets about him---generalized anxiety, sep anx., fear aggressive with no real bites. What did you specifically do to get "Creepy Human Lips" (thank you, I cracked up on that one) him to this point? I remember you got him into agility. Anyway if ya have time, I'd love to know the details of your success. Maybe what books stand out in your mind and what protocols you were given, etc.

After a year with Shep, he has come some distance but not super far. I wasn't as focused on him and consistant as I should've been but am gearing up again. I know what it involves and altho I have no idea who you are, I feel so proud of you! I am so impressed with what you've done with Solo and I feel lucky to have 'met' you. I hold you both as a symbol of hope.

I just reread Solos Got Day. I love it. I didn't remember you bought him a hamburger. I did the same thing for Shep, after taking him to that first freak and thought I'd have to put him to sleep. Interesting that we both opted for a burger...did he get fries too?

Hi Kim - here's another good article, with references, about re-vaccinating. I've been busy and not on this board much the last few days, but as I come across saved links, I'll forward them to this thread.

http://www.caberfeidh.com/Revax.htm

By the way, where in MD are you? I've lived in the Northern VA area all my life - and worked at a regional vet referral center for 17 years so I have met a lot of veterinarians...feel free to IM me if you want.