BC Boards

Careers of Border Collie owners

There seems to be a large number of owners crating their dogs. Do you think this is something more prevalent in BC's? Does their intelligence get the better of them? Or is this just common with most breeds where you all live? I live in California and I don't think it's that common... then again I haven't really done a survey.... hmmm...

Um, I crated my bc because it was the most surefire way to know that the house I rent did not get destroyed. I had never crated a dog before that, living in the country, we just let our dogs roam the neighbourhood...since my great grandmother owned all the land no-one cared and anyone that did live near us was related to us and had livestock and dogs too. But now I think it's the only way to go. It's safe for you and the dog. The rescue that I volunteer for sends each foster to their adoptive families crate trained and I think it's a life saver. The dog has sort of a safe place to go when it's feeling over whelmed and the family has somewhere to put the dog so it doesn't get into too much trouble.

julie

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live in California and I think crating is very common where we are. If you're involved in any dog sports, I think it's essential. We got an adult (well about 2 years old) rescue a few months ago and we needed to crate train him too. He was a chewer of inappropriate items and it only took one $1,000 vet bill to convince me he needed to change his ways. He hated it at first because he was confined for weeks after a hip operation before we got him. It's taken a while, but he's good with a crate now. He's not in a crate much (my wife is usually home during the day), but it's just not possible to watch a dog 24 hours a day.