BC Boards

Dean Dog's Newest Freestyle Pose

It's only 3 seconds long, but it's so cute!

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5DLyxs1szQ

BTW, I know my click was a tick late. It was not easy juggling a camera and a clicker at the same time! We're starting to work on more "hang time" on this pose now.

So Cute! :rolleyes:

I remember when I was just teaching Daz that pose. It took her awhile (although granted she was a young dog) to build up enough muscle in her back to hold it for more than 10 seconds or so. Now that she can actually do it, it is one of the tricks that the crowd just loves to see!

I remember when I was just teaching Daz that pose. It took her awhile (although granted she was a young dog) to build up enough muscle in her back to hold it for more than 10 seconds or so. Now that she can actually do it, it is one of the tricks that the crowd just loves to see!

I know what you mean. I've been working with him for quite a while to build up the muscle in his back for this - and his sense of balance. He used to flop over backwards, so I used to lure him up into the position and "spot" his back. Once he could hold it with the "spot" for a few seconds, I faded that away.

It's just been recently that he's been offering the pose and holding it for a second or two! I'd like to build him up to about 10 seconds, too.

He looks rather silly when he does a play-bow style "bow" because of his body shape. I think that this would make a really nice ending pose for him once he can hold it for 5 seconds or so.

Very cute! And I think you did a great job juggling camera and clicker :rolleyes: .

Thinking of it as a starting and ending pose, Mary Ray, the English heelwork to music person (who also got 4th in Obedience with one of her dogs at Crufts last week) used it at the routine she did with Richard Curtis Mary Ray at Crufts.

Hope the link works.

• 3 weeks later...

Very Nice! My freestyle song (for disc dog) is Aint too Proud to Beg by the Temptations so I taught Jackson to sit up. Problem is that he lacks um.....self control.....around a disc so he won't focus long enough when he knows he gets to play frisbee. Oh well.

But I use it as a concentration exercise in new places. It takes a lot of balance and thought for him to hold it so I ask for it in loud and strange places to have him focus on me. I have a few pictures of him doing it at the base of the Washington Monument and in front of the Capital building in DC lol. I'll look for them on my computer at home.