BC Boards

sheep huggers

Sheep huggers.......got a new dog and my sheep(4) are doing their best to kill me. It is bad enough when I have my other dogs out so..................................................

1. Get rid of sheep, and replace them with others?

2. Break sheep into smaller lots. How small?

3 any other thoughts???????????????

Would appreciate your input..........thanks

bill mcdermott

:rolleyes: Don't mean to laugh at your pain but I've been there with not-so-nice sheep. Oh, wait, still am, just not the same kind of not-so-nice-ness.

Sounds like your sheep are very sour and need a break - or a permanent ride to someone's dinner table. Also, if you are working them in a large space, they may be taking advantage of you and getting a good running start, knowing they can distract you by causing chaos. I've met such sheep in "school" situations..

Possibly you could trade them out for some less dogged sheep - or buy in more. I don't know what your situation is, but if possible, consider getting about a dozen next time. You can work them in groups of three to five, and keep them fresher longer - plus if any need a break, you'll have plenty others to work while that one is red shirted.

Some options to consider:

Raise ewe lambs for someone, if you've plenty of grass and good fence.

Raise feeder lambs, which you can sell off when the grass stops growing (and the fall ethnic market is buying).

Trade out sheep with someone with a much larger flock.

Be aware that in the first two instances, any stress will set back growth. Good luck!

My first sheep were Suffolk's- aka- stompers. Not good for young dogs. I then went to Cheviot's, cute, a little more flighty, and their little faces looked so cute. As we progressed, we took on sheep that we didn't have to take back and forth to the action. Being on only 5 acres at the time. We got some St. Croix and barbados . Does the term "Wheeee" mean anything to you? :rolleyes:

Finally went to a St. Croix/KATAHDIN mix. No sheering. Worked great for herding. I never raised for meat. YES- I bought sheep for my dogs, not the other way around. So, go ahead and laught- :D:D:D

One I saw a sheepdog trial, it was pretty much over for me. They KNEW me at the auction. Yet, my fav's were the St. /katahdain mix. JMO for herding and training. They never seemed to break very much no matter how much you used them. Easy to handle, good temperments, not too many "stompers" for young dogs. Great over-all sheep. If anyone has another input other than meat raising or whatever. I felt these where the best for dog training.

Thanks for listening.

Dianne

My first sheep were Suffolk's- aka- stompers. Not good for young dogs. I then went to Cheviot's, cute, a little more flighty, and their little faces looked so cute. As we progressed, we took on sheep that we didn't have to take back and forth to the action. Being on only 5 acres at the time. We got some St. Croix and Barbados . Does the term "Wheeee" mean anything to you? :rolleyes:

Finally went to a St. Croix/KATAHDIN mix. No sheering. Worked great for herding. I never raised for meat. YES- I bought sheep for my dogs, not the other way around. So, go ahead and laugh- :D:D:D

One I saw a sheepdog trial, it was pretty much over for me. They KNEW me at the auction. Yet, my fav's were the St. Croix /katahdin mix. JMO for herding and training. They never seemed to break very much no matter how much you used them. Easy to handle, good temperaments, not too many "stompers" for young dogs. Great over-all sheep. If anyone has another input other than meat raising or whatever. I felt these where the best for dog training.

Thanks for listening.

Dianne

It's common practice in some parts of the country to buy and sell sheep through the auction ring, but if you have any ambition of keeping a flock of sheep as anything other than a dog training tool I would advise everyone to stay away from auctions as a source of stock. Auctions, also known as sale yards or sale barns, congregate sheep from multiple operations in a setting where they are stressed. Every sheep in the sale is exposed to any disease that any sheep that day might be carrying, and when you buy sheep at the sale, you bring all that risk home with you.

The devastating 2001 foot and mouth outbreak in the UK was traced to a single animal moving through an auction sale. Folks brought exposed stock home from that sale, exposed their own animals, then shipped some out to other sales, where those exposed animals were bought home by other farmers -- it cascaded very rapidly.

Sales barns are convenient, but like any convenience they carry a price.

My first sheep were Suffolk's- aka- stompers. Not good for young dogs. I then went to Cheviot's, cute, a little more flighty, and their little faces looked so cute. As we progressed, we took on sheep that we didn't have to take back and forth to the action. Being on only 5 acres at the time. We got some St. Croix and Barbados . Does the term "Wheeee" mean anything to you? :rolleyes:

Finally went to a St. Croix/KATAHDIN mix. No sheering. Worked great for herding. I never raised for meat. YES- I bought sheep for my dogs, not the other way around. So, go ahead and laugh- :D:D:D

One I saw a sheepdog trial, it was pretty much over for me. They KNEW me at the auction. Yet, my fav's were the St. Croix /katahdin mix. JMO for herding and training. They never seemed to break very much no matter how much you used them. Easy to handle, good temperaments, not too many "stompers" for young dogs. Great over-all sheep. If anyone has another input other than meat raising or whatever. I felt these where the best for dog training.

Thanks for listening.

Dianne