BC Boards

Why I love Joy

we have a decent sized backyard for a suburban yard. Biggest one in our subdivision, actually. Nearl 7/8ths of an acre. The only problem is it backs up to a busy road. The yard is pretty flat, but in the back there is a short, steep hill. That only acts as a visual barrier from the cars, but Joy knows better.

Because of this, I made her a 100' long line. I practiced recalls everyday when the weather was nice. She got so good, I wasn't paranoid about taking her leash off for agility exercises. I think there has been one instance when she ran off without a leash because my friends were goofing off and spooked her.

Since fall, I've never let her off leash since I haven't been practicing it with her. I went to the park to let her run in the snow, and I braved her going off leash- and it worked! Sometimes, I don't believe Joy actually absorbs and remembers half of the things I tell her. When she started charging down the field and I called her back, she actually did! That made me soooo proud. If only I could take this one step further and call her back when we're doing agility.

Also, I've successfully taught her to crawl forwards and backwards. I'm teaching her how to make a sandwhich (to win pet star :rolleyes: )

Her heeling precision has imporved, but she's slowing down, so I have to figure out a way to speed her up with out losing her precision.

She won't eat her food unless I have her wait, twist, and down (preventatives so she won't eat the cats)

I've been proud of her :D

Trust me...teaching her how to make a sanwhich is harder then you think. You have to teach her not to eat the bread, cheese and meat, then how to pile it in the proper order... Hopefully when the trick is finished I can post a vid

I have never heard of that trick before- that has got to be one of the most difficult tricks around. My dogs know leave it with a piece of cheese on their paws, but actually making a sandwich- never going to happen here-LOL. Joy has made such progress. And BTW- love your siggy.