BC Boards

i will be looking at dog that is between 3 and 5 years old. I saw him in the vet office and he appears well adjusted and knows basic commands. The rescue person wanted me to look at the dog and possibly keep it. I told her that i did not want another pet, but a dog that will work.

On Wednesday of this week she is going to bring the dog to my house for evaluation to determine if he fits in with my other BC and has herding abilities.

What do i look for??????????????????????????????????

bill

Wow big question.

I don't usually try to decide in five minutes but...

You need to make sure that he has a good character. Gets on well with other dogs and people.

Then try him on the stock and see how much instinct he seems to have for the work. Does he pay attention to you once he calms down from the initial thrill of it all. Is he a determined killer, afraid of the sheep, too much eye lacking interest??? Too many things to look for to try to describe really.

I suspect from your question that you have not had a lot of experience with training a herding dog in the past. So while you might get very lucky and find a 3-5 year old dog wandering into your life who is going to make you a nice herding dog the odds are not with you.

If you are interested in pursuing this sport you would be much wiser to spend a bit of money and buy an older trained dog. If that is not in the cards then buy a nice started dog or barring that buy a well bred puppy from a cross that has produced nice easy to train dogs.

Starting out with a 3-5 year old dog is hard for the experts. It is not something that I would do and I know very few who would. This is a mature dog who is either going to bring a lot of self confidence and determination to the work or a lack of confidence or fear. The chances of a well adjusted nice herding dog finding itself in BC rescue are not good.

Yes I know we can all name a rescue dog that has turned out to be brilliant, but the odds are not with you and this is a dog that if you take him is going to hold a spot in your kennel for ten years that might have gone to a dog that you could have herded with and enjoyed.

So good luck to you. I hope he works out but have a care. He might much better go to someone who can love him as a pet and not expect of him what he may not have to give.

Beverly