BC Boards

Dog breaking Romneys will starter dog

Andrew.Peters

My dog MayDay and I are fairly new to herding AND sheep. He knows left from right, stands and lies just fine. I use gentle commands, and rarly have to yell. The sheep on the other hand bold at the sight of him. They trust me to a degree and will come for grain, but if there is a dog, it's pretty much shuffling in a hurry down the fence line to get them anywhere. How can I break these sheep a bit so they are manageble. I'm sure they are perfect for trial situations, but what do I do about every day chores?

Andy

Silverton OREGON

My dog MayDay and I are fairly new to herding AND sheep. He knows left from right, stands and lies just fine. I use gentle commands, and rarly have to yell. The sheep on the other hand bold at the sight of him.

That's what sheep do and that is the key to moving them with a dog. It would be worse if the sheep wouldn't move at all when they saw the dog (especially a young dog). The key to working them is putting the dog where you need it so that they "bolt" in the direction you need them to go.

If the dog is far enough off the sheep they'll stop running and be more manageable. As the sheep get used to the dog, that distance decreases (sheep get heavier).

They trust me to a degree and will come for grain, but if there is a dog, it's pretty much shuffling in a hurry down the fence line to get them anywhere. How can I break these sheep a bit so they are manageble. I'm sure they are perfect for trial situations, but what do I do about every day chores?

Andy

Silverton OREGON

Sheep that are worked quietly and correctly will get used to a dog. Sheep that are harassed get ornery or crazy. I'd say take your time if the dog you have is young. Use the grain and no dog if you need to in some circumstances until the dog is capable of working the sheep and try to train the dog on the sheep in an area where there isn't a strong draw for the sheep one way or the other.

I know that's a lot to ask and may not always be possible but I haven't found many shortcuts in this game.

Best of luck,

Pearse