BC Boards

Packed Pen

kelpiegirl

So, after about 2 weeks off due to weather, I worked Lucy again today, same stuff as usual, but decided to work in a packed pen. I was a bit reticent, because I am no expert, and I want to be able to help my dog. Turns out, she didn't need it. I walked in there and shut the gate behind me. Stomping, heads down reception- didn't bother her one iota- she ignored it. I flanked her, she went around, both sides, against the wall- having some times to push to get there. Then I flank her toward their heads- no problem at all. She was challenged, and went for a grip- nose, at one point, and then just kept working. I was very happy, since we have only done this once, when she was just a year old. What a calm, confident, cool, cucumber. Feels good to see my girl growing up :rolleyes:

Sounds fabulous!

We worked today in a very small (maybe 16'x8'?) shed/pen with just three sheep for my very pressure-senstive and somewhat anxious wussy Celt, and I was very happy with what he did accomplish. Too bad we didn't do quite so well out in the field but the sheep were rather challenging and I was in over my head out there.

I am so pleased to hear how your nice dog is coming along. I've seen several very nice Kelpies at clinics and one I saw last fall (a dog from Oklahoma, maybe?) was just terrific, with a very competent and quiet handler. Something to aspire to...

Thanks J, and Sue :rolleyes:

Lucy wasn't perfect in the field either- I think I need much heavier sheep. It is just so hard to get pace on her, when they are always running everywhere. But, every outrun was good. It is funny- I set up, get her set, and just stand up straight and say "out" that seems to work WAY better than a cb, or away. Basically, okay, I am going to send you, you know how to get out, and behind, and the only thing I am reminding you of is to stay out.

We started to try and shed today, I have no doubt she'll get it, but probably not on these sheep...

The pen- a few months ago, I sent her in there to get them, and she didn't quite know what to do. So, after our pen work, I sent her in to get them out- and even with all standing and staring, she just went right in, and around, and I EVEN got a down on her while she was still in the pen, while they ran hell bent for leather out of the pen. This was cool too.

There are some nice Kelpies- actually, they are very similar to BC's in that they all have their goods and bads, but, more and more of us are taking the time to research good lines, and get them over here- or get them from really good lines that exist here already. We are hosting a clinic by a bloke named Kevin Howell in June. He is a very well respected trialist, and a third generation farmer. I can't wait to get him out here!