BC Boards

Heeling/driving strength

This applies more to cattle for me than sheep, but I thought I'd ask the expert. :rolleyes:

My dog is a very strong header--makes her great at outruns and gathers; great stock sense and balance.

However on driving it makes it harder to keep her holding the line (given a chance she'll slowly ooze toward making a flank to get to the head). She pushes fine (power wise) when she is driving, I just have to stay on her to stay behind.

On cattle I'd like her to take a nip of heel to push when she needs it, instead she'll kick over bite at a flank to get the motion and then get back behind and start driving again.

So my questions are

1) is this just a "trait" [i.e some dogs are headers/gatherers and some are born drivers ] or is this because I spent too much time at the Novice level doing wearing and balance work?

2) what can I do to strengthen her keeping the line on the driving (either sheep or cows) without constantly hollering "What are you doing?!" each time I see her start to lean to a side

Thanks for reading.

Please, everybody, read the sticky entitled "Welcome to 'Ask an Expert'" at the top of this forum, especially the part that says

This forum is restricted to answers from our current expert. (In other words, forum members can post questions here, but only the expert should attempt to answer them.) It's great if you have thoughts on helping and comments to make, but for this forum only you might want to consider writing your ideas to the original poster privately. The "Training Discussion" and "Trial Tips" forums, of course, are fair game for anyone to post their suggestions and pointers. Thanks in advance for your cooperation

I'm afraid that I have found some dogs like to drive and some just don't they are always trying to fetch the sheep. With practice they all become more comfortable driving but some never really buy into it to the point that they will keep driving away from you if they can't hear you telling them to do so.

My dog, Bill, is always trying to bring me sheep. If I'm not pulling him back behind his sheep he is ever so gradually working his way around them so he can turn them back to me. Its just his way and knowing this I work with it and we are fine. On a really windy day I don't have to worry about his hearing me on the fetch I know he will bring the sheep (the drive can be a bit tricky though lol).

I have had other dogs that once I got them behind sheep would take them to the next county if they didn't get a command to the contrary.

As long as the dog takes the commands he is given when fetching or driving I don't worry too much about trying to change their basic natures. If you dog will stay behind his sheep and work well when told to do so then just do a bunch of driving and keep him comfortable there. He is never going to have to drive sheep great distances and will be fine in a trial or on a farm. If you need to drive sheep for many miles....well he will do that too with you to encourage him.

Beverly