BC Boards

What Happens Next?

Lizmo

Probably a dumb question, but what happens after a pup goes for the inital exposure to sheep (say, around 3-5 months) and has "turned on"?

Do you still let the pup on sheep only for the purposes of getting a feel for the stock - not enforcing commands or putting much pressure on the pup? If you do this, how many times a week/month would you do this?

Or do you not go on stock again till the pup's ready to start training?

TIA!

Jennifer

I think it's a matter of the dog being able to take pressure (from you/sheep) and going from there. If your pup isn't ready for real training, if you know what you are doing, you can still put the dog on sheep, without allowing bad habits, but if you aren't a wise trainer, you could allow things to happen that shouldn't. I put my pup on sheep for the first time at 8 months, and we started really training her at 8.5 months- nothing heavy though.

Okay....I've just been watching "The Shepherd's Pup" about introducing your pup to sheep (about 3/4 months), what you'd like to happen with that, and to start training. He did say that he started a little training at around 6-8 months of age.

But didn't say anthing about what happend in that period of 4-6 months of age - after "turning on" but before real training.

ETA: You said when a dog is ready to start training, how do you know when a dog is ready to start training? Since each dog is different are there things to look for?

Presumably you'll be working with a good trainer. That trainer will be able to read the signs that your pup is ready for progress. I've sometimes been surprised myself as to what meant my pup was ready for something harder, and what meant we needed to take a step back and review.

When gaging your pup's progress against what you see in the video, remember you are seeing an expert, with access to perfect sheep, all the time. Any difference in the way your pup is trained can mean the difference of several months training. It's not a bad thing - he can optimize every training opportunity - we ordinary mortals have to take it as it comes, be patient, and go slower for the sake of our dogs.