BC Boards

Training Variety

Beverly -- My 3 year old Border Collie and I began herding training about 18 months ago. We have opportunity to work sheep about 2-4 times/month, averaging about three times. and generally all year-round. Last fall we did well in a few beginner's level arena-style trials. Her outrun is extending, we recently began longer drives, and she has shown promise at the pen. Her fetch is excellent. In addition to herding, we train obedience (at home and through lessons) and we both enjoy agility training. I don't currently plan to compete in agility, and mainly incorporate it into our curriiclum as a cross-training outlet, for additional exercise/discipline and for recreational fun. We do a good deal of other just-for-fun acitivities, such as frisbee tossing, trail walking, shopping, and ball fetching.

My chief question is: What is your opinion on agility training for herding dogs? Do you see it as inconsistent with herding or confusing to the handler and/or dog? I have not seen anything that indicates my dog is troubled by training in herding, along with agility. My belief is that almost any activity with a dog will increase the dog-handler bond, instill discipline/socialization and provide an outlet that the dog/handler enjoy. I have received mixed opinions from other herding handlers/trainers about almost every outside activity for herding dogs, so therefore this question. Thank you in advance for your thoughts. -- TEC

I think that of all the activities you can easily do with your dog that agility is the least detrimental to their herding work. I find that with the agility the dog needs to be psyched and excited and still listen which is not a bad discipline to have for herding.

I would only be careful with working on making the dog focus too much on you and not as much on the work that can bite you later in herding work.

Beverly

Beverly -- My border collie, as you guessed, does show strong enthusiasm for agility training. I can send her out on a series of complex jumps/obstacles, and with little, if any, movement on my part along with a few quiet commands, she assertively finds her way. Distance appears to be her friend. She primarily sees the equipment, and I am in the background providing guidance. I believe cross-training will give her a head-start for the pen and shed, and herding in general.

I would only be careful with working on making the dog focus too much on you and not as much on the work that can bite you later in herding work.

:D I provide praise when my dog does a good job, and she always recalls in a happy upbeat manner. I have not seen any behavior indicating she will nip/bite. Uhh, OK, you probably meant something else. Hope you appreciate a little kidding. :rolleyes:

It's good to have training options/variety, as I don't have frequent opportunity to work sheep, and as you sensed, I have better chance of providing exercise on an agility course. I hope this spring/summer to line-up a sheep partnership for herding training, so I can get 2-3 works/week, and put other activities on the back-burner. Thank you for the advice. This "Ask an Expert" feature is wonderful. -- Thanks, TEC