BC Boards

Another raw bone question

Hello all,

A friend of mine just gave me about a dozen cow rib bones. They still have all the meat on them (all still attached to each other) and are around 6 inches long. I have a 45 lb hard keeper and a 30 lb easy keeper. Does it sound ok to feed them each 1 or should the bigger dog get 2 at a time? I dont have any way to cut them in half. This would of course replace their dinners.

Thanks,

Olivia

We butchered a cow for our dogs and kept the ribcage along with everything else.

Beef rib bones can break teeth, so it's safest to give them several rib bones (still attached to eachother) so that they concentrate on the meat and not the bone.

Remember that more than half the weight of a slab of ribs is from bone and not meat, so feed accordingly.

A 45lb dog should get 0.9 - 1.35 lbs per day of raw (based on 2%-3% of dog's ideal body weight). For a hard keeper lean towards the 1.35 lb side. That would be about 3+ lbs of ribs (including bone).

A 30 lb dog should get 0.6 - 0.9 lbs per day of raw. For an easy keeper lean towards the 0.6 lb side. That would be 1+ lbs of raw.

Because of the risk of breaking teeth, I personally feed double or even triple the daily amount and feed nothing or small meals over the next few days.

I wouldn't give my dogs only one or two ribs unless they were the original length (which is quite long!). It's just too risky.

I wish my friends would give me ribs! :rolleyes:

Thank you much!

I will keep them together and let the dogs knaw away! Somehow they seem to know these are ment for them. They rarely haunt the kitchen but as I was unwrapping these and trying to fit them in bags (didn't work, had to wrap them in paper) they were mesmerized!

They are going to be sooooooooo excited!

Olivia