BC Boards

outruns

I have 2 BC's...a 7 yr. old and a just 3 yr. old. My 7 yr. old is always is checking on his sheep as he is doing his outrun. The 3 yr. old is quicker to "see" her sheep at the post, but appears to get in to a "zone" while running out to pick up her sheep. Sometimes she is surprised when she gets to the top to see that her sheep aren't where she originally spotted them from at the post. Sometimes me whistling to her to let her know falls on deaf ears. It's like she gets into a "I'm running, I'm running" and doesn't hear me or see that her sheep have moved. Any good exercises to help her check in more often? Thanks. Suzanne

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah the I can run or I can think kind of dog. Not one of my favorite types, but alas, not uncommon.

In stead of dealing with her attitude lets try dealing with her actions in the hope that better actions will create a better attitude. If they don't you will at least have better actions.

You need to get her to stop on her outrun when you tell her to. It is nearly impossible to get a dog to flank on the outrun if they won't even stop. Set her up for sheep that someone is holding for you 100 yards away. Send her and see if you can stop her somewhere between 25 and 75 yards away from you.

If you can not. Set up the outrun again and this time lay her down and walk part way out. Send her for the sheep and meet her on the outrun and stop her that way. You have got to get this dog to listen to you even if she is on an outrun.

There should be no time on the field when you cannot control your dog. They do not get to choose when they are working for you and when they are working for themselves.

Sure we all have times when we lose control ( or at least most of us do from time to time). We should never be in the position to say "My dog won't stop then". A loss of control should always be unexpected not anticipated. If a loss of control is anticipated then it should have been fixed.

I expect that if this dog will not stop on her outrun then her stop in other places is probably a bit less then perfect as well. Have someone watch you work the dog on driving and flanking in a big circle and see if your flanks and stops are as they should be. Get the dog to relax and stop on command and then work on adding distance.

The outrun is a big flanking run around sheep. You should be able to stop your dog and flank it in this situation. Once she knows you can stop her she will be listening for you a bit more and that may well make her generally pay more attention to her environment.

Beverly

Yes, this bitch likes to work on her own. You are right about that. She's got a stop, but you are right again when you say she probably doesn't stop all of the time when I say stop. She is a "tense" dog. (probably another post subject) I hadn't thought of her delibertly blowing me off. I kind of thought she was just in the "zone." She actually gets bored quite easily. She is the type of bitch that likes a lot of action. She loves ranch work, loading and unloading, moving sheep from this pen to that, confronting sheep that have confronted her, and so forth. I will try the stopping exercise on the outrun. I wasn't sure if I should have a set out person spook the sheep while she is on her outrun just to get her to check in or what. I never thought she was disobeying me.

Maybe she is...I'll look at it from a different vantage point. I like the "in hopes better actions will create a better attitude." One thing this bitch does have is lots of "attitude." Thanks. I sure enjoyed seeing you and Pippa at the last two National finals! Suzanne