BC Boards

Luper's December Novice Trial

The drought has made Mary and Tony come to the hard decision to sell off sheep. This means they won't have enough sheep to hold their December trial. We are hoping, however, to schedule a fun day (or two) and perhaps a clinic in place of the trial. We'll keep everyone posted on what we're planning--we will aim to use the same dates (second weekend in December).

J.

Well, if it turns into a fun day, it might be a good place to bring the young'uns out for trial practice without all the stress of a real trial. (We thought about trying to combine my karakul flock with their tunis flock, but I don't think any novice handlers would want to deal with the karakuls--the tunis were bad enough last year.)

J.

Back in Utah when some one didnt have enough sheep, we would all bring some of our own that wernt to dog broke or prego, I can volenteer 4 yearling ewes ( katahdin/St Croix) to utilize that are pretty fresh, and not bred. Darci

Hi Darci,

I think it would make it difficult to get any sort of fairly even sets if we just brought in sheep willy nilly from all around. I've seen what a mess it can be when three flocks (wool and hair) were combined right before a trial. It was not pretty and certainly not suitable for novice dogs. We did talk about getting all the sheep from some other source, and I suppose that's still possible, but will need to talk to Tony about it. The problem with these other sources is that the sheep are not terribly dogbroke and therefore probably a bit more of a challenge than most novice dogs and their handlers need (the tunis were bad enough last year, but I suspect had we run the N/N and P/N on Henry's cheviots, which we used for ranch and nursery, it would have been a disaster).

J.

Your right, Id forgotten how difficult it is to incorporate sheep. Ive tried in the past to put new sheep in with mine, and they used them like a pin ball bouncing them back and forth to each other. Well, it was a thought anyway. I understand about having to sell off some stock, I accually had an opportunity a couple of weeks ago to enlarge my herd, but passed on the offer because we just arent sure if we're going to have the hay to support more through the winter. Smallest my herd? if you can call it that anymore, has been in years. Sure am starting to like the look of thoses tunis though, those little ears and pretty little faces.....some thing to look into for next year. Well, keep us posted on what ya'll decide to do, looking forward to seeing everyone, and if theres anything I can do to help, please give me a shout. Darci