BC Boards

To Peel or Not to Peel?

KrisK

I am now the proud owner of 90 - 8 ft cedar fence posts (6"-10" diameters and only $4.00/post) They were cut last year and the bark was left on. I have had differing opinions as to whether to peel the posts before putting them in the ground or just leaving them with the bark on. I'd be inclined to peel the part that would be in the ground and let the rest wear off naturally.

On a side note - I need a truck (totally wishful thinking right now!) We hauled these posts in my trailer behind my Focus station wagon. We made one trip with 45 of these on the trailer. DH estimated it weighed about 400 kg which was close to the max for my car. We took them about 15 km and off-loaded at our camp. For the drive home, we decided 23 posts was plenty (80 km). I'll need to make a few more trips but it's a good excuse to visit Jo&Tex and some family as well.

The dream of sheep is now one step closer to reality...I get to start fencing a pasture :rolleyes:

Thank you! I was not looking forward to peeling them but DH thinks we should...now I can say..I heard it directly from the poseur extraordinaire that it's a 'make work' project I don't need :rolleyes:

I actually like peeling cedar logs when they are old and the bark slips off easily. If they are fresh, its much harder and they are a sticky, sappy mess. That would determine whether I would peel them or not.

(There was a bustout at the llama farm overnight. It's foggy here and the silly things were running with the school bus down the road. It's hard enough to swing a schoolbus around in a farm driveway in fog without a dozen space alien llamas 'helping' me, lol)