BC Boards

Puppy weight question?

Gypsy

Just curious, what's the average normal weight range of a 3 month old puppy.

Gypsy went to the vet today, she gained 6 pounds since her last visit (was getting booster shots). Shes a little over 12 pounds, but seems rather skinny to me sometimes. I usually work during the days, so this is the first appointment I've been of Gypsy's she usually goes with her 'dad', today I had a day off and we both went. I don't like this vet, he's not friendly, doesn't care about making the animal comfortable, and took a short annoyed tone with us, asking him certain things. And I'm going off on a tangent and ranting.. basically.. this appointment was our last, and we're switching vets. Just was curious to get some input on weight range for a puppy, understanding that it can vary from dog to dog.. but healthy average weight.

Thankyou.

-Anna

Just curious, what's the average normal weight range of a 3 month old puppy.

I think you'll it varies quite a bit from dog to dog. I haven't seen your dog, but I'd rather have a "skinny" puppy than an overweight one. BC's are often very lean and I think they are healthier for it in general.

Oh I realize it's always going to vary a bit from dog to dog. I guess I was looking for some age specific range stats, or maybe just hear about other puppy's weights. Thankyou though. Yes, I certainly don't want or expect my pup to be overweight, and I realize that border collies are on the lean side.

Oh I realize it's always going to vary a bit from dog to dog. I guess I was looking for some age specific range stats, or maybe just hear about other puppy's weights.

You could try searching for weight, height, puppy, etc. because this is a popular question. I remember wondering how Quinn stacked up next to the other puppies. He always seemed at the low end of both height and weight but as an adult he's now close to 21 inches and about 38 lbs of such solid muscle I feel like I'm hefting a stone statue when I pick him up :rolleyes:

My foster pup is a bc/heeler x and is now 11 weeks old and somewhere around the 12-12.5 range. (~13.5" in height-she is wiggly so it's hard to get an accurate height) She seems on the skinny side to me too, but I know what she eats-and it's plenty!!!! :rolleyes: She looks just like how I think she should look when she gets older though, just in a much smaller form. Long legs, big ears, and an hourglass shape, if you will.

12 lbs at 3 months sounds good to me. I agree about preferring a lean puppy to a roly-poly one, it's much better for them. Alex weighed 13 lbs at 4 months, and now at 14 months, he weighs about 29 lbs. He's small for a male, though. Your pup sounds just right to me, I wouldn't worry. (Also, there's a similar thread in the General Discussion area, see if that helps any).

I have to say, though, it sounds like a new vet might be in order. You need to feel comfortable with your vet, and it sounds like this guy isn't making you or the puppy comfortable. He should be more open to listening to you and helping answer your questions.