BC Boards

Florida Handler/Dog Clinic

Zoot

Anyone interested in attending a clinic in central Florida (16 miles south of Gainesville) around the first or second Saturday of November, please give me a call or email.

The clinic will be conducted by Maurice MacGregor, an Irish trainer with more than fifty years of training and trialing experience, and who has been featured in the New York Times, Dog Fancy, The Shepherd's Dogge, and Time Magazine. He sure helped me with my new rescue border collie, Ty...we won 4th place overall at our first novice trial in Georgia last week!

The clinic will be limited to 10-12 participants so that each handler/dog will get individual evaluation and attention. I have sheep and a pretty good size pasture as well as small working pens. Novices welcome. There are not many opportunities to get training of this caliber here in Florida, so please help me fill the clinic!

John Carter - Ty & Kate

carterfarm@gmail.com

352-274-3629

Update: The clinic is now scheduled for Saturday, November 10th. Location is 16 miles south of Gainesville. Give me a call for reservations and details.

John Carter - Ty & Kate

carterfarm@gmail.com

352-274-3629

My rescue bc has only seen sheep a few times. Would we be allowed to attend?

Yes. Several of the last clinic participants brought dogs that were new to sheep. I think it is very rewarding to watch Mac start a new dog on sheep. He will probably put the sheep in my small circular pen with the dog outside, and help you get the dog's working instinct "fired up" and begin some simple commands.

My dog Ty was a rescue dog also, and Mac helped me introduce him to sheep. I wasn't sure if he could be made to work stock, but he certainly can now and we placed 4th overall in our first (Ty and myself) novice trial.

I am interested, but like Mary said both myself and my dog are newbies!!! Could you PM me some details?

Thanks!

Dinah

Newbies not only welcomed, but encouraged! Most of the folks at our spring clinic were new and we all had a great time. Here is a link to my website that has photos of the spring clinic, maps, and other information: www.shielinfarm.com

John - Ty & Kate

Mary and Dinah, I would join you ladies for the day, either with or without Jack, but I've already committed to a flyball tournament that weekend. Please tell me all about it if you go! :D

LOL I didn't see this thread and just sent you a PM on the other board :rolleyes: I just Pm'd Zoot about signing Dave up. I am with Mary on this one, since I have no clue how Dave is going to do. He has seen sheep outside the pen, but never inside the pen with them. It could be exciting!

Mary, which dog are you going to bring?

LOL I didn't see this thread and just sent you a PM on the other board :rolleyes: I just Pm'd Zoot about signing Dave up. I am with Mary on this one, since I have no clue how Dave is going to do. He has seen sheep outside the pen, but never inside the pen with them. It could be exciting!

Mary, which dog are you going to bring?

Well, we may bring all three, but Charlie would be the one that I want to work. Milo loved herding but his hips are bad enough now that he becomes quite sore if he runs around a lot. Skittles has his own issues, lol. Charlie loved the sheep, but maybe a little too much! That is my biggest issue with him - getting him to back off and be more controlled and work with me.

Well, we may bring all three, but Charlie would be the one that I want to work. Milo loved herding but his hips are bad enough now that he becomes quite sore if he runs around a lot. Skittles has his own issues, lol. Charlie loved the sheep, but maybe a little too much! That is my biggest issue with him - getting him to back off and be more controlled and work with me.

LOL Sometimes when I hear about Charlie I often think he and Dave are a lot alike behaviorwise :rolleyes:

I will be bringing all three of my guys too! With Andrew gone right now I have to bring them all since I don't have anyone else to take care of them when I am gone. I am probably going to be pulling my hair out after a 4.5 hour road trip with three dogs by myself, lol. Are you driving up for the day or are you all staying overnight in a motel?I am going to play it by ear, but I don't know if I can take driving over 8 hours round trip and herding in one day:)

Are you driving up for the day or are you all staying overnight in a motel?I am going to play it by ear, but I don't know if I can take driving over 8 hours round trip and herding in one day:)

I'm not sure, yet, especially since I haven't even told Steve about it, yet. It kind of depends a little on how many dogs (fosters) I have at the time. I think that by the time the clinic happens, all my fosters will be adopted or in other foster homes. But, you never know what could happen between now and then. There's always another one around the corner. :rolleyes:

There are still four openings left for this central florida clinic. This will be a great way to start a novice dog and handler, as well as provide an excellent "tune up" for trial-bound handler/dog teams. Check www.shielinfarm.com for details, maps, etc.

There are still four openings left for this central florida clinic. This will be a great way to start a novice dog and handler, as well as provide an excellent "tune up" for trial-bound handler/dog teams. Check www.shielinfarm.com for details, maps, etc.

We would still like to go. I've just been so crazy busy lately that I haven't had time to contact you. If you could just shoot me an email at Mary@starfishbcrescue.com and let me know what I need to do to reserve a spot for me and my bc, I'd really appreciate it.

Mary,

I am so glad you are going! I didn't want to be the only newbie there. I will be there with all three of my dogs, but only Dave will attempt to herd. I am sure we will be in top form when you see us - three dogs by myself, one a limping corgi on crate rest, after a 5 hour drive :rolleyes: It should be interesting, lol.

Have fun you guys, and be sure to take lots of photos; I'm sure everyone will do great and it'll be well worth the drive; it looks like you've got a wonderful opportunity for tutelage under Mr. MacGregor. We're planning to train again the next couple of weekends... I'm hooked!