BC Boards

just a question

Are BCs good for goats? I like sheep, but don't really have the time for shearing. I'm looking to raise boer goat for meat. It really is tasty, and extra lean. Also, do you kennel the working dog outside with the goats? Shes been in the house for a little over a year. We do have some agression problems, but, we're working on that. Should I consider getting a new dog for working? Not in a rush, just curious. :rolleyes:

Are BCs good for goats? I like sheep, but don't really have the time for shearing. I'm looking to raise boer goat for meat. It really is tasty, and extra lean. Also, do you kennel the working dog outside with the goats? Shes been in the house for a little over a year. We do have some agression problems, but, we're working on that. Should I consider getting a new dog for working? Not in a rush, just curious. :rolleyes:

I know BC's can be used for working goats, but maybe you should consider hair sheep - they shed their hair coat once a year and no shearing is needed.

There is no reason a working dog should not live in the house with you - mine do :D , and I believe that most of the other working dogs owned by those who post here live in the house as well. Some working dogs are also housed in kennels away from livestock.

Herding dogs should never be kept with livestock. Period. The dog will learn bad habits from having access to the stock on it's own and would probably harass the stock as well.

If you are interested in getting stock and working your dog, I'd find a good trainer and take a few lessons in the near future. That way they'd be able to help you see if your current dog would be able to work for you or not. And also help you find one suited to your needs if your current dog doesn't have the apptitude for stock work.

MrBell,

Maralynn has made some good points. If your dog has been living in your house and you're happy with that arrangement, then there's no need to change it just because you want her to help you manage your livestock.

But even if you decide she needs to be kenneled outside, absolutely do not put her where she can "work" the goats by watching them 24/7. She will develop bad habits that will be difficult for you to break, and there's just no good reason for it. Actually putting her in with the goats would be a recipe for disaster. If you want a dog to also protect your goats from predators, then you will need a livestock guardian dog (LGD). These are different sorts of dogs entirely, and they are the appropriate dogs to be left *with* your stock 24/7.

Goats do work differently than sheep, and it will take some training on your part to make your girl useful to you in managing your goats. Like Maralynn said, the first step is to find someone who can help you train your dog properly and perhaps mentor you on keeping livestock as well. She can be started on sheep and switched to goats at a later time, but if I were planning on keeping goats, I would try to find someone who has dogbroke goats you can start her on. I can't emphasize how important it is to start out with goats that are used to being worked by dogs. Nondogbroke goats would likely be too much of a challenge for a newbie dog with a newbie handler. Then again, if all you can get are nondogbroke goats, you can make it work, but I wouldn't want to try that without the help of an experienced trainer/mentor.

Hair sheep are also an option, but I think there's probably more money to be had with goats, since they can be sold around here at 8-10 weeks old for $85, which you won't get for a hair lamb the same age.

J.

Thanks for the advice. The BC school she is going to attend for a small biting problem also offers herding class. I was just wondering about if your supposed to leave them with the livestock. I'm glad you don't. Shes a good watch dog, and she likes to sleep at the end of our bed on the floor. Again thanks. I'll keep you updated on our progress.