BC Boards

Why do they shed in the fall?

mobcmom

After a Frisbee session and walk in the park, it was bath and grooming time. Both my girls had baths and after they were dry, it was time for the shedding brush and nail trimming.

I would up with piles of dog hair outside. It was such a great day that the wind blew most of it away, but you would think it was spring time.

Why do bcs shed in the fall?

mobcmom

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Don't ask me. One would thing they would grow more fur for the winter but alas, mine shed this time of year, too. I guess maybe it's due to being inside dogs?

I don't get it either. Even though mine are inside dogs, it's not like I've turned on the heat yet or anything...this year, my dogs are really shedding ridiculously, and I've heard it was becasue we had so much snow last winter :rolleyes:

Not sure if that's true, but it does seem worse this year. Have you noticed it's worse this year, Anda, Dana, Amy, or any other folks from Colorado?

Mine is not a big shedder, but yes, black hair is falling :rolleyes: His daily fish oil capsules seem to do a great job. The one time I stopped giving him fish oil (out of fear I wasn't giving him Vit E with it), I saw the true meaning of shedding. As soon as I put him back on the capsules, taaa-daaa... manageble hair problem! I don't bursh him daily, more like weekly or actually, truth be told, bi-monthly :D

Don't know if there's any corelation with winter approaching, or maybe just his metabolism, but my oh-so-very-picky-I-won't-eat-more-than-a-cup-a-day boy has suddently the appetite of a 14-year old teenage boy!

Someone told me once that dogs shed based on the amount of daylight they are exposed to and any big fluctuations in it. Like now we losing alot of daylight so... LET THE SHEDDING BEGIN! I don't know. It sounded about as good as any other reason I've heard. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. I'm just glad the fur is in the grass "or bird's nest - they are welcome to it" and not on my floors.

The dogs seem to be happier after the grooming. Maybe they were just glad it was over, but they seemed happier.

mobcmom

I know that's true in horses...what triggers winter coat growth isn't the temperature, but the light. It's also what triggers estrus.

Maybe they are shedding because there's only so many hair follicles and the summer coat is just getting pushed out by the new growing winter coat?