BC Boards

Holly

Raina1

Hi all,

Holly Is a very fat dog i take her for a walk twice a day (to the beach which is a mile away from where i live) but is there any way i can help her loose weight?

i have started taking her a walk 3 times a day and i have noticed her loosing some weight but i would like help with how i can get her to loose more

Then I would cut back the food. I control my dogs weight by their food intake, not by their exercise. They are both active and chasing each other around all day, then we go swimming and running at the park in the afternoons. If they are putting on weight I know it is due to their food and I cut it back a little until I have it just right. Especially border collies, they are active enough during the day, even when left alone. So, I would look at the food you are feeding her. What do you feed her and how much of it? I feed raw and only know food available in Australia so I wont be much help but Im sure someone else can help you with that side of it.

Is it possible that she's getting into food you don't know about or getitng hand outs?

I have been making myself crazy trying to figure out why one of the dogs was getting fatter and fatter even though I've upped the frisbee and ball games up to the point I'm getting frisbee elbow. I was afraid to feed her less for fear she'd get malnutrition.

Turned out she knew how to get into the cat cupboard (under the stairs). She had to go through the door, over the baby gate, through the $%^ cat box, up on the shelf, in a cubby made between the stairs and the wall) and was helping herself to EVO Cat at regular intervals.

That door now has a cat-widthed latch on it.

I'm not telling which dog, she knows who she is. :rolleyes:

I had to laugh at your post then Pax

Well we did feed her two tins of Pedigree Dog Food but we are now feeding her 1 1/2 tins

and she has gotten into the cats felix pouches before but not sure if she still is

i kept finding pouch wrappers in the morning and one morning i got up much earlier to find her munching away

Nosh is food. :rolleyes:

It would be hard for me to say, not knowing the food and not knowing the dog. Hang in there, there are some food experts on this board, and it tends not to be super busy on weekends. Someone will be along shortly to give you great advice, I'm sure.

In the meantime you might like to browse through the Dog Food Project site.

Welcome, btw.

What size tins are they? Pedigree make them in a few different sizes. Personally I would stay right away from pedigree altogether, but thats nothing to do with her weight so I will leave that there. Do you feed her kibble too? Or just the tins? I cant imagine what your yard looks like if you only feed tin food lol. Lots of poo I imagine :rolleyes:

I think the normal size is about 750g. If thats what you are feeding her I wouldnt give her anymore than one can. With my dogs, if I feed them anymore than about 400-450g each day they start to put on weight really quickly. But raw food is different, they dont need as much of it because it doesnt have the filler stuff that processed food does. Still, anymore than about 700g seems too much for a border collie.