BC Boards

Nipping and Herding other dogs

Okay, I hate to use that description because I know it's prey drive and rude behavior, etc. But it best decribes what Kipp is doing.

Quick background - he was not socialized with other dogs before I got him at 20 m/o. He has always been very submisive to Missy and has absolutly no issues with her. But when it comes to other dogs, he usually goes into the "border collie stare" and gets worked up into nipping if the dog starts moving much.

What I've started doing is letting him check out another calm dog in a down-stay and rewarding him if he is calm/curious around the dog and verbally correcting him if he goes into stare mode - he is sensitive to that and will back/off come back to me when I growl at him. As soon as his behavior changes to something acceptable, I change to a happy voice and he gets a food reward. Some else is next to the other dog and also rewards him (petting, food) for coming up to them/ the dog in a relaxed manner

I'm looking for more ideas/opinions on overcoming this, or if I should keep working on the situation like I am. If anyone has anything that worked for them, I'd love to hear that, too.

Okay, I hate to use that description because I know it's prey drive and rude behavior, etc. But it best decribes what Kipp is doing.

Quick background - he was not socialized with other dogs before I got him at 20 m/o. He has always been very submisive to Missy and has absolutly no issues with her. But when it comes to other dogs, he usually goes into the "border collie stare" and gets worked up into nipping if the dog starts moving much.

What I've started doing is letting him check out another calm dog in a down-stay and rewarding him if he is calm/curious around the dog and verbally correcting him if he goes into stare mode - he is sensitive to that and will back/off come back to me when I growl at him. As soon as his behavior changes to something acceptable, I change to a happy voice and he gets a food reward. Some else is next to the other dog and also rewards him (petting, food) for coming up to them/ the dog in a relaxed manner

I'm looking for more ideas/opinions on overcoming this, or if I should keep working on the situation like I am. If anyone has anything that worked for them, I'd love to hear that, too.

Hi Maralyn,

First of all, I love the way you spell your name.

I had pretty much the same problem when I brought my 6 month old puppy home. I got some great advice here, followed it, and within about a week the problem was gone. Here is the thread from when I had the problem. I hope it helps.

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.p...ding+other+dogs

Tammy

Thanks for the link, Tammy. I read it, and I guess I'll keep working on the way I am now and see what he's like in a few weeks. It's a little frustrating because the problem is only showing up outside dogs, so I'm limited in opportunities to work on it (ie, with another calm dog and a dog savy person). But slow progress is still progress - I guess I just tend to be a little impatient.

First of all, I love the way you spell your name.

Thanks! My user name is actually a combination of my first name and my middle name, but I do like the way it fits together so nice!