BC Boards

Light Reflections/Visual Stimuli

Nzbc

Well, where do I start.

I have a male BC that is about 13months old.

He is extremely sensitive to any kind of light movement......forgive me if this has been covered before......if so can you give me a link to it, I searched but found nothing.

Anyway, It started in the kitchen when the sun comes around, and through the garden window. The sink is directly infront of it, so when its sunny and the tap is running, the light relects onto the ceiling and pretty much all around the kitchen (as you can well imagine).

Floyd (my BC) paces backwards and forwards in the kitchen, snapping at the roof, and making grunting type noises.

It started off just as I described, but since light reflects in more than one place in the house, he soon discovered them.

It has gotten to the point now where he bits at the walls if there is a reflection there, thus many of my walls in the house have pieces out of them. :rolleyes:

Has anyone had this type of problem with their dog before?

Is this something that I should be talking with a Behavourist about? - there aren't really any where I live, only trainers.

Any help. or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Dave

post-6358-1189047995_thumb.jpg

Well, where do I start.

I have a male BC that is about 13months old.

He is extremely sensitive to any kind of light movement......forgive me if this has been covered before......if so can you give me a link to it, I searched but found nothing.

Anyway, It started in the kitchen when the sun comes around, and through the garden window. The sink is directly infront of it, so when its sunny and the tap is running, the light relects onto the ceiling and pretty much all around the kitchen (as you can well imagine).

Floyd (my BC) paces backwards and forwards in the kitchen, snapping at the roof, and making grunting type noises.

It started off just as I described, but since light reflects in more than one place in the house, he soon discovered them.

It has gotten to the point now where he bits at the walls if there is a reflection there, thus many of my walls in the house have pieces out of them. :rolleyes:

Has anyone had this type of problem with their dog before?

Is this something that I should be talking with a Behavourist about? - there aren't really any where I live, only trainers.

Any help. or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Dave

maybe you could distract him with another activity....I thought a laser pointer would be a good inside play toy for Bo, but he just became obsessed and I was worried about him hurting himself trying to catch the light.....that's the only experience I've had with the light thing....sorry couldn't be more help

maybe you could distract him with another activity....I thought a laser pointer would be a good inside play toy for Bo, but he just became obsessed and I was worried about him hurting himself trying to catch the light.....that's the only experience I've had with the light thing....sorry couldn't be more help

When I first got Nash he was funny about reflections. I put peanut butter over everything that reflected and he stopped barking and started licking. Then for a while he would just randomly walk by stuff that might have once had peanut butter on it and lick it hopefully. It took about a month (but only a week or so of consistent peanut butter smearing) before he relaxed.

It sounds like you might be a bit past this point, though. Dogs biting holes in the wall...wow. Maybe he needs some more outside time?

What kind of mental stimulation/training is he getting? I think I would put a stop to the immediate problem by crating him where there are no reflections when you are unable to interact with him. Then, and you don't say how much activity you do with him, I'd step up the activities, especially perhaps the trick training and the like, since those sorts of commands would be the obvious choices for diverting his attention when he tries to go for reflections.

If this is already a habit--and it sounds like it is--then I would make every effort to consult with a board certified behaviorist. It may be that he's to the point where intervention with the help of medication (while you modify his behavior) is called for, and I wouldn't trust any but a certified behaviorist to guide me in that. You need to do something now as he's already damaging your walls. The more he's allowed to engage in such activity, the harder it will be the break the cycle, which is why I suggested a crate when he can't be supervised. You'll have to make sure the crate is located such that no reflections enter it though. Also, please note that a crate is not the *solution.* Sticking him off in a crate and not addressing the problem will probably just lead him to some other obsessive (and likely self-destructive) behavior.

Anyway, without a complete description of what the main part of his day is like, my main suggestion would be to engage him more in activities that don't allow him to obsess over reflections, and when you can't do that, have him someplace where he can't see them. And find a good behaviorist; you can start with the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists.

Good luck!

J.

Guest WoobiesMom
When I first got Nash he was funny about reflections. I put peanut butter over everything that reflected and he stopped barking and started licking. Then for a while he would just randomly walk by stuff that might have once had peanut butter on it and lick it hopefully. It took about a month (but only a week or so of consistent peanut butter smearing) before he relaxed.

It sounds like you might be a bit past this point, though. Dogs biting holes in the wall...wow. Maybe he needs some more outside time?

Could I rent Taz covered in Peanut Butter??? :rolleyes: I'd even drive and pick up! LOL

She is covered with peanut butter as we speak. :rolleyes: Her class room is peanut free and she's crabby about it. :D I just made her a peanut butter sandwich bigger than her head and she's wearing most of it down her front.