BC Boards

Fear of tile

I know that this sounds nutty, but my newly rescued three-year-old bc is afraid of tile! Especially the white tile. The problem is that my whole house contains tile (not a stich of carpet). He only walks on the brown tile (1/2 the house) and I can get him to come into the bedroom 1/2 way (which contains white tile). I have tried to walk him through it, leave him treats on the tile, etc. All to no avail (he just stares at the treat- takes a step or two forward- then backs up). Any suggestions?

Plus, he always backs up as opposed to turning around. Anyone else have that particular problem w/ their bc? He has a few "issues" but these seem to be the most pressing at the moment. Thanks for any help.

JJ and Jake are the same way. When we first brought Jake in the house, it wasn't a problem but one day we took the boys out and went inside a place with slick floors. When Jake saw JJ *panic*, he did too.

With them it's the slickness of the floor. (And Jake can walk a lot faster backwards on our kitchen floor then he can forward.) When they aren't paying attention, they can walk on slick floors just fine. JJ can now walk all over the vet's office with no problem! Jake is the total opposite.

Does the brown tile have any texture to it at all? The only advice I can give at this time is to try and distract him. Since treats don't work, does he have a favorite toy? If that doesn't work, maybe you can throw some old towels down. As he gets use to you and your home, take them up one at a time over an extended period of time.

Also check his pads. If they're dry &/or cracked, start moisturizing (sp?) them. Dry pads can be slick too.

ETA: I'm glad you started this thread. I'm interested in finding something that will help Jake along faster as well.

Does the brown tile have any texture to it at all? The only advice I can give at this time is to try and distract him. Since treats don't work, does he have a favorite toy? If that doesn't work, maybe you can throw some old towels down.

All of tile is the same- no texture change- just color. I really think that it's a color thing. I tried to put his favorite toy (gator/camel) on the tile- but he just stares at it obsessively and looks at me like,"mommy- get it!" I would put a towel or blanket down- but here's another issue- he plays with towels. I put one in his crate and he went nutty. My hubby bought him this expensive temperpedic pad to sleep on and he just peeled it off the floor- attacked it and flipped it up in the air! He simply sleeps on the floor (which can't be comfortable). The runner idea sounds good. I can put on in the hall and maybe someday he can visit the other half of the house.

To top it off, the poor little guy has bronchitis from his stay at the rescue. Can I still take him for brisk walks in the hot Florida sun- or should we give it a week or so (I wasn't at the vet's office for the diagnosis- and my husband- bless his heart- doesn't ask questions like me). Thanks for the quick reply. You guys will probably be hearing from me frequently as my guy has lots of interesting issues.

I'm not sure what else I can add other than what everyone else has said already. Towls or rugs sound good. I'm sure he would be happy to have a rug run to the bed :rolleyes: