BC Boards

Woobie's Vet Visit

Guest WoobiesMom

Guest WoobiesMom

Our vet had actually just gone to a conference on canine allergies recently, so he had alot of good info. He was quite supportive of the raw diet. But there's some suspicion that we might also be dealing with seasonal allergies in addition to food. Unfortunately, the mold here in this area is present almost year round. It's also possible that he's slightly allergic to chicken since he never truly firmed up on that either. The only thing that ever produced truly firm stools was Science Diet for Sensitive Skin but he really fought eating it. For now, I've decided to put him on Hills z/d and see how the hydrolyzed protein goes for 3 months. By that time, the mold should hopefully be down and we can see how he fares over the winter with the seasonal allergens mostly gone. We're also changing his heartworm preventive and worming him to cover all the bases. I guess our heartworm preventive has some starch ingredients that are possible allergens as well. Woobie will miss his raw diet for now but I hope to reintroduce it in rabbit form during the winter. Training him w/o treats will be a bit of a challenge but he's not been all that food motivated anyway outside of the house. I got some hypoallergenic Royal Canin treats that I'll try but I think I'll probably end up sticking with praise and toys for our training motivation.

Maybe you can finally figure out what's wrong then. It sounds like the vet is pretty good. Wow, a vet that likes the raw diet? That's hard to find. Good luck. I hope he starts to feel better.